Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Get proper video resolution with trident video card and Ubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOWTO: Get proper video resolution with trident video card and Ubuntu 8.04

The way that this turned my screen into a digital Jackson Pollock painting after following the first instruction, I can now see that this is something to try with a live CD rather than a hard drive and later, when I have time. Even still, it is a promising place to begin.

If anyone would like to save me the trouble, however, and figure out the precise choices to make using xubuntu and a Toshiba satellite 4080XCDT, I would be very happy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Talking Re: HOWTO: Get proper video resolution with trident video card and Ubuntu 8.04

Great post. The method worked with Xubuntu Hardy on a Toshiba S1800 514 laptop with Cyberblade graphics AFTER installing from the alternate CD. (You have to use your sudo password at each login of course) Iwould note that while installing the laptop fan didn't run properly and I had to take the top off, use bellows etc to get it to the end of the install without crashing due to high temp. Seems OK once rebooted after install.........

Beans

You have got to be one of the brightest 14 year olds around. Thank you for this post. As an absolute newbie to linux I have searched and tried many different suggestions but none worked. This one worked on my Toshiba Satellite 1800 HV9III with the Trident CyberALADDIN-T graphics controller.

=D>
    Last edited by Gremlin001; June 12th, 2008 at 01:29 PM. Reason: spelling error

Beans

This worked really well. Nice Job!

I used a little variation to get my install working on my Tecra 8200.

I had already installed ubuntu and wanted to change my settings without re-installing. I used the live-cd method described to set up the xorg.conf file, popped in my usb drive, copied of the /etc/x11/xorg.conf file, rebooted into my ubuntu, hard drive installation, copied the xorg.conf file from my usb drive to /etc/X11 on my hard drive, logged out, logged in, click System, Preference, Screen Resolution, choose 1024x768, apply.

Looking at the new /etc/X11/xorg.conf file showed me that even with this working config the next time I restarted X it would be back at 800x600.

So I edited the file manually and fixed the seettings to display at 1024x768.

Here's my xorg.conf for those that just want a working config for a Tecra 8200 at 1024x768:

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
    #
    # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
    # values from the debconf database.
    #
    # Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
    # (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
    #
    # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
    # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
    # package.
    #
    # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
    # again, run the following command:
    # sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "CorePointer"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
    Driver "synaptics"
    Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
    Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "0"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    Boardname "Trident CyberBlade (generic)"
    Busid "PCI:1:0:0"
    Driver "trident"
    Screen 0
    Vendorname "Trident"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Configured Monitor"
    Vendorname "Generic LCD Display"
    Modelname "LCD Panel 1024x768"
    Horizsync 31.5-48.0
    Vertrefresh 56.0 - 65.0
    modeline "1024x768@60" 65.0 1024 1048 1184 1344 768 771 777 806 -vsync -hsync
    Gamma 1.0
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    Defaultdepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Virtual 1024 768
    Modes "1024x768@60"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Default Layout"
    screen 0 "Default Screen" 0 0
    Inputdevice "Synaptics Touchpad"
    EndSection
    Section "Module"
    Load "glx"
    Load "GLcore"
    Load "v4l"
    EndSection
    Section "device" #
    Identifier "device1"
    Boardname "Trident CyberBlade (generic)"
    Busid "PCI:1:0:0"
    Driver "trident"
    Screen 1
    Vendorname "Trident"
    EndSection
    Section "screen" #
    Identifier "screen1"
    Device "device1"
    Defaultdepth 24
    Monitor "monitor1"
    EndSection
    Section "monitor" #
    Identifier "monitor1"
    Gamma 1.0
    EndSection
    Section "ServerFlags"
    EndSection

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hello ilovelinux33467,

Thank you so much. Your method works but I had to modify it a bit. Here's why.

1. My rig is Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 with dual-boot Win XP-Hardy. I updated to kernel 2.6.24-19 but this gave me a 800x600 resolution, i.e. a large black border around the screen (Bug # 185440 regarding xserver-xorg). Also found that displayconfig-gtk is NOT installed and graphic card for Trident Cyberblade driver is missing.

2. I re-installed displayconfig-gtk.

3. Because the Hardy Live CD doesn't boot, I skipped Step #1 and Step #7. In Step#6, I also hit the Resolution button and selected 1024X768. Other than these, I followed your method and it works! Now everything is back to normal as far as display goes.

Thank you kindly.
    Last edited by iClouseau88; July 13th, 2008 at 09:05 PM. Reason: add machine type

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thanks so for much for the tutorial. I've never been able to get Hardy to work right with my video resolution till now.

I have an old HP Pavilion N5470 laptop with a Trident Cyberblade videocard. I didn't use the live cd install, I installed using the alternate cd. I just followed the directions skipping Step 1 and Step 7 as I could not use the live cd. I logged in and started with Step 2. You will have to log out every time after you make a change to the video settings using sudo displayconfig-gtk in the terminal. Also, I had to go into System->Screen Resolution to change the screen resolution to 1024 X 768 after Step 11.
    Last edited by ramengirl; July 15th, 2008 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Adding system information.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Worked for me on a new install without the live cd.

Thanks a gazillion!!!

Beans

My video card is Trident CyberAlladin, and I'm running Xubuntu.

Unfortunately, ilovelinux33467's method didn't work for me. By the time I finished step 4, and I've logged out, I had a black screen with nothing on it.

However, I did manage to get it working by simply pasting thewogg's xorg.conf (starting from the part after the input devices) into my xorg.conf

I was just trying this out for fun and expected to see some dramatic error messages. But, amazingly, it worked. I can now set my resolution to 1024x768, whereas previously I could only set it to 800x600.

Beans

Thanks ilovelinux33467! Works perfectly on a Toshiba 1805-S207 with Trident Cyberblade XP Ai1.
    Last edited by jc349817; August 7th, 2008 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Thought maybe there was something else to do give thanks to a another user.

Beans

Thanks to ilovelinux as well, but I too had to use theNymph's strategy of cutting and pasting thewogg's xorg.conf file. The reason was that whenever I would manipulate the Display settings - Generic -> LCD Display 1024x765 - I would be left with an unusable interface displaying what looked like five or six improperly overlaced visions of the desktop. That could very well be what theophile meant as a digital Jackson Pollock painting. Nevertheless, again, all these efforts are much appreciated.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast