Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [solved] sound over hdmi ubuntu 9.10 nvidia 9300

Beans

Talking [solved] sound over hdmi ubuntu 9.10 nvidia 9300

I'm posting this as hopefully it will save others the frustration I had trying to get audio over hdmi working on my zotac 775 itx board!

I was using 9.04 & had got *some* audio going over hdmi by following various guides, breaking it a few times and finally unmuting the IE958 switch, vlc, banshee etc worked but no joy with firefox which was irritating for iplayer, youtube etc

I did a clean install of 9.10 in the hope that it would sort my audio issues, still no audio over hdmi & all of the guides were for 9.04 or earlier

This is how I eventually got it working after a few more breaks and a re-install & was shocked at how easy it was!

In the sound/volume manager had my audio set as digital out (hdmi)

In a terminal type

Code:
    alsamixer
    if alsamixer is not installed it can be with the follwing command

Code:
    sudo apt-get install alsamixer
    once you have the alsa mixer open in the terminal use the arrow keys to move across to the IE958 1 switch, which in my case was muted

Bit of frustration ensued here as arrow keys did nothing, then hit 'm' out of experiment, this unmuted it & voila everything now works!

Hope this saves someone the frustration I had!

Beans

Re: [solved] sound over hdmi ubuntu 9.10 nvidia 9300

Nice!! So simple, i have tried to use alsamix to fix this problem myself. But i did not know option m=mute

Thanx Man!

Beans

But the real question is why is HDMI audio muted by default ? That's just dumb.

I too had tremendous difficulty getting HDMI audio to work under 9.04 (which involved finding out this "trick" plus lots of other stuff)

But after upgrading to 9.10 it was fundamentally broken again so I've simply given up with Ubuntu & HDMI for the moment as it just doesn't work (well not without sacrificing far, far too much of your time)

Shame really but there you go.

Beans

Unfortunately in the same boat as raptor. I was able to get it to work in 9.04. Running Mythbuntu 9.10 with MSI Digital board.

Beans

Oh, god i love you mate, works like a charm

Finally i can find the popcorn, thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Nice tip! This gives me a beep when i "Test" it in Sound Preferences. But i still don't hear anything through VLC, flash, or xbmc. It works through Movie Player, but i need it in the other apps. Anyone got an idea what to do here?
    This APT has Super Cow Powers.
    If I'm not back in 5 minutes, just wait longer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ok i fixed it with...

Custome Device : hdmi

Still no navigation sounds though.
    This APT has Super Cow Powers.
    If I'm not back in 5 minutes, just wait longer.

Beans

Works like a charm. Thanks a lot for posting this. You saved me from a ton of frustration.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by madscot View Post
    I'm posting this as hopefully it will save others the frustration I had trying to get audio over hdmi working on my zotac 775 itx board!

I was using 9.04 & had got *some* audio going over hdmi by following various guides, breaking it a few times and finally unmuting the IE958 switch, vlc, banshee etc worked but no joy with firefox which was irritating for iplayer, youtube etc

I did a clean install of 9.10 in the hope that it would sort my audio issues, still no audio over hdmi & all of the guides were for 9.04 or earlier

This is how I eventually got it working after a few more breaks and a re-install & was shocked at how easy it was!

In the sound/volume manager had my audio set as digital out (hdmi)

In a terminal type

Code:
    alsamixer
    if alsamixer is not installed it can be with the follwing command

Code:
    sudo apt-get install alsamixer
    once you have the alsa mixer open in the terminal use the arrow keys to move across to the IE958 1 switch, which in my case was muted

Bit of frustration ensued here as arrow keys did nothing, then hit 'm' out of experiment, this unmuted it & voila everything now works!

Hope this saves someone the frustration I had!
    Hi,

May i ask the following questions?

Q1. What audio card are you using that has HDMI and works with ubuntu 9.10? I am using optical cable from my Intel DP35DP mobo into AV and i can only get Stereo, i.e., 5.1 dolby/dts cannot make it thru the optical cable. It would be good to know which brand/model of audio card that you are using.

Q2. Now that you could get audio over hdmi, is it Stereo or 5.1 dolby/dts or both? From sound preferences, i could only select digital stereo which uses the optical path. I could see 5.1 analogs option but they are not going the optical path.

Q3. Have you tried streaming HD codecs over hdmi, i.e., movies from blu ray disc that has Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD MA codecs? I am wondering if ubuntu 9.10 supports these HD codecs or not. If anyone tried, it would be good to know which audio/video card you're using over hdmi.

I am still struggling to stream dts/dolby over optical cable to my AV. Hope to hear from gurus in this forum but if hdmi is the way to go, i guess i will just skip the optical path.

Cheers
    Len

Beans

i have an acer revo and do not get sound with any of my web browsers...i am running kubuntu 9.10....sound works in dragon player but not for video on websites i tried the alsamixer it was not muted and hda nvidia is at top of output device preferences.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast