Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: please help with a very complex issue...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: please help with a very complex issue...

but try his fix first.
    MACINTOSH: Most Applications Crash If Not The Operating System Hangs
    WINDOWS: Will Install Needless Data On Whole System

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Try em both its hard to know which one will work if mine doesnt help try Dosix's driver its hard to know unless you try!
    This is Linux. It gives you a cute mascot and enough rope to hang yourself!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by u-noob-tu View Post
    I read that somewhere, but all I can find under administration is additional drivers. The hardware section doesn't have anything with drivers.
    just to clarify, do you have virtualbox installed in ubuntu, or is ubuntu running in virtualbox? if it is a vbox instance, then you have to install a vbox driver, which usually doesn't do good 3DA. vmware player is slightly better if that is the case.

if it's a hardware install, for drivers, in Maverick the "Additional Drivers" utility is what you might be looking for. if you haven't checked it out, take a look. in prior versions of ubuntu the tool was called "Hardware Drivers" and before that, "Restricted Drivers". obviously there is controversy behind the naming...

for ATI drivers, I usually go to ATI.com and download theirs if I can't find a good one in the Additional drivers util. they download to you a .run file, so I just open a terminal and run
    Code:
    cd /path/to/.run/directory/
    sudo sh ./<filename>.run
    then just walk through the wizard. for some reason, their package always requires a new shell, hence the "sudo sh ..."
    there is an ATI driver for your card at http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...2&lang=English

as for xorg.conf, it is no longer very pertinent to a Maverick install. since 8.04 the xorg has been slowly losing relevance. they aren't used by default anymore, so if you don't have one, that is because no peice of software you have has tried to configure it for use. Nvidia vid cards for instance still store some of their settings in xorg.conf and will create one if it does not exist. you may have reason to create one, and it will be used if present, but if you have created and edited one, remember to delete it before trying a new type solution to your problem. it can cause problems if bad settings are left there.

this really shouldn't be a messy issue. my best advice is to be sure to try all the easy approaches before getting more exotic. the developers spent a lot of time focusing on the easy methods, and the more complex stuff is subject to change on a much faster basis. I've learned (through pain) over the years, that when Ubuntu makes something easier in a new version, you are much better off taking the new path, instead of trying to do things the same way as your last version.
    Last edited by endotherm; January 22nd, 2011 at 07:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by DOSIX View Post
    try downloading and installing this driver.
    im getting an error during the compiling process when i run ./configure. it says that i have 2 missing packages: xorg-server and fontsproto. i looked in synaptic and couldnt find either.
    "Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." ~Voltaire

Beans
    Distro

how does the install process work? do i just go through the wizard, reboot and done?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

how does the install process work? do i just go through the wizard, reboot and done?
    yup. the first option is to either install, or create a deb file. obviously, I would just install.
    you can choose a custom install which gives you two additional options, but I usually don't have to touch them. other than that, it does the rest. after that, you use the catalyst control center to configure it. for changes like resolution/refresh, screen position, and enabling extra monitors, be sure to run the "as admin" or "as root" launcher, since those changes do write to the xorg (or at least they used to), and require root to do it. for everything else however, run the tool as you, since you want your settings applied to your user.

up to Lucid, I had to use the ati proprietary driver on lots of installs (largely HD 4200's) but now I find that the repository driver (in additional drivers) now has a fully functional driver for a lot more card models.

I prefer the repository drivers because they automatically update/reinstall everytime you have a kernel or xorg update. the proprietary drivers become unlinked from the install every time the kernel is updated, and you have to rerun the installer wizard to recompile them for the new kernel and install the mods.

that said, the proprietary driver works just fine if thats what you have to do. just put off your kernel updates until you have time to do a quick driver reinstallation.
    Last edited by endotherm; January 22nd, 2011 at 07:11 AM.

Beans
    Distro

this just wont end... i ran the sh command an i get this error in the terminal:

$ sudo sh ./ati-driver-installer-10-12-x86.x86_64.run
    Created directory fglrx-install.YPQDIO
    Verifying archive integrity...Error in MD5 checksums: 48c2e8ce1f504f07a0985afe489b26e3 is different from dfc5d2753d97882b67eb453b85ff8dbc

what does that even mean?

aaaargh

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

oh, btw, the driver I linked above is 64bit. if you run a 32bit ubuntu, then jsut go to this page:
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

and fill the search with
    Code:
    Notebook graphics
    Radeon Mobility
    Mobility Radeon HD 3xxx Series
    Linux x86

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

this just wont end... i ran the sh command an i get this error in the terminal:

$ sudo sh ./ati-driver-installer-10-12-x86.x86_64.run
    Created directory fglrx-install.YPQDIO
    Verifying archive integrity...Error in MD5 checksums: 48c2e8ce1f504f07a0985afe489b26e3 is different from dfc5d2753d97882b67eb453b85ff8dbc

what does that even mean?

aaaargh
    that means that the file did not download correctly. try downloading it again.

basically the checksum is calculated before the file is downloaded, and after. if the calculation returns a differant value than the one that was gen'ed before sending, then the package data changed somewhere.
    if your curious, check out: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...e_verification

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by endotherm View Post
    that means that the file did not download correctly. try downloading it again.

basically the checksum is calculated before the file is downloaded, and after. if the calculation returns a differant value than the one that was gen'ed before sending, then the package data changed somewhere.
    if your curious, check out: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...e_verification
    i think i might have gotten that cuz you directed me to a 64 bit file, and i use 32 bit.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast