Thread: Unable to get network on new notebook

Beans

Exclamation Unable to get network on new notebook

I had been using Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS, installed off a USB stick, on my previous laptop. Now that I have installed the same Ubuntu off the same stick on my new notebook, I am unable to get network on this machine, even after rebooting in recovery mode and performing the "Get network" operation. The network status in 'Settings' says "cable unplugged". There is no Wifi status shown. I tried to attach the relevant Settings screenshot, but it cannot be done as I am forced to post this from a different device..

My earlier machine was an HP with a mechanical hard drive. The present one is an Acer with SSD.

I shall greatly appreciate any help with this problem.
    Last edited by tapasray; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:30 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Unable to get network on new notebook

Wifi or Ethernet? Do you get a DHCP lease (check in network settings)? Does "lspci" list your network hardware?

Beans

Thanks for your response. By "cable" I suppose it means ethernet. But I am not interested in that. Wifi is nowhere to be seen. Not sure what you mean by DHCP lease ... all I get in Settings are ",Cable," disconnected, VPN disconnected, and something else.

I ran lapci and saved the output in what I thought was a text file that I could transfer over to this device (a tablet) with a pen drive - the notebook's Bluetooth isn't working either. But the whole thing has crashed and I can't even access the OEM win 11. So installing Ubuntu all over again. Will give you an update tomorrow.

Beans

PS: I tried to upload the lapci output file but could not. Apparently it's in some wrong format. In fact, Android couldn't open it,

Beans

A fresh file ...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Good morning. Last night I tried to send the ',Settings' screen shot. It didn't go. Trying again.
    Attached Images Attached Images