Thread: question about echo and sudo

Beans

Smile question about echo and sudo

i don't shutdown/reboot via GDM/KDM, because i don't use gnome, or kde. since i don't have gdm/kdm running, i have to 'sudo shutdown' instead. i have a long password, consisting of a string of alphanumeric characters. so, having to 'sudo shutdown' can be a pain in the neck.

so, i script my way around.

what i used to do, back in the good ol' heron days, was this:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

if [ $1 = "-h" ]
    	then
    	echo $PASSWORD | sudo shutdown -h now
    fi

if [ $1 = "-r" ]
    	then
    	echo $PASSWORD | sudo shutdown -r now
    fi

and, for a time, it was good.

but then, something happened. i don't know what. but something happened.

every time i run 'echo $PASSWORD | sudo something' i am asked for my password, so i'm guessing echo is not doing anything useful there.

i really don't want to chmod or chown my shutdown or my /sbin/poweroff commands. i like it the way it is. it's just that i'd rather not have to type in my tedious password all the time.

i'm really not too worried about having my password written in plain text in some random /usr/bin/file. i don't keep anything i can't recover easily, and this is a harmless machine with no internet.

so, what do i do?

what would the alternative to "echo $PASSWORD | sudo something" be?
    Don't eff with The Cult...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: question about echo and sudo

Quote Originally Posted by angry_johnnie View Post
    it's just that i'd rather not have to type in my tedious password all the time.

i'm really not too worried about having my password written in plain text in some random /usr/bin/file. i don't keep anything i can't recover easily, and this is a harmless machine with no internet.
    So why do you have a long tedious password?

If the machine's not connected to the internet, and you're perfectly ok with storing your password in plain text, why not just make the password short and easy?

or maybe

Code:
    echo actualpassword | sudo poweroff -n

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

The best way to fix this is to modify /etc/sudoers. That's the best way to grant permissions for something like this. You cannot edit that file directly, because any error will break your system; you need to use visudo.
    Code:
    sudo visudo
    Then add this at the bottom
    %admin ALL=NOPASSWD: /sbin/shutdown -h now
    That allows everyone in the admin group to shutdown the computer without entering a password. It's a much better way than storing your password in plain text. The best thing is that only shutdown -h now is allowed; others can't run the command with other options (they aren't many for shutdown but some commands have lots of options). I've posted my sudoers file below. I allow admins to run fdisk -l; fdisk is a dangerous command because someone could wipe my parititions, but I only allow them to run fdisk -l, which doesn't have any serious security implications (I don't care if someone knows my partition layout.
    You can do a lot of cool stuff with visudo. It's a great way to allow you to do "privileged" tasks that typically don't need privileges.
    # /etc/sudoers
    #
    # This file MUST be edited with the 'visudo' command as root.
    #
    # See the man page for details on how to write a sudoers file.
    #

Defaults env_reset

# Host alias specification

# User alias specification

# Cmnd alias specification

# User privilege specification
    root ALL=(ALL) ALL

# Uncomment to allow members of group sudo to not need a password
    # (Note that later entries override this, so you might need to move
    # it further down)
    # %sudo ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL

# Members of the admin group may gain root privileges
    %admin ALL=(ALL) ALL

%admin ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/powertop
    %admin ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/apt-get update
    %admin ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/apt-get upgrade
    %admin ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/pm-suspend
    %admin ALL=NOPASSWD: /sbin/reboot
    %admin ALL=NOPASSWD: /sbin/fdisk -l

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You could set the 'setuid' flag on the script and make it owned by root, this will make it run as root everytime.

I think sudo still lets you pipe a password to it, but you need an extra parameter. Try man sudo.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    You could set the 'setuid' flag on the script and make it owned by root, this will make it run as root everytime.

I think sudo still lets you pipe a password to it, but you need an extra parameter. Try man sudo.
    I think that this method is inferior to the method that I described. Using the sudoers method, you can authorize a person/group to run a specific command with specific options. With Setuid, anyone (not necessarily a specific user/group) can run the command with any options available to that command. That's probably not a big deal with shutdown because it can't really be used for much, and there aren't a lot of options for it. I think that using sudoers is a much more secure and fine-grained method.

Beans

Smile Re: question about echo and sudo

Well, jbrown96, i do thank you much!

now that i think about it, it is quite obvious, isn't it? editing the sudoers file, that is... it's funny i didn't think about it myself. but then again, a whole lotta brains ought to be better than one.

i prefer having a long, tedious passcode. just because i can easily recover whatever's on that drive it doesn't necessarily mean i'm entirely ok with losing it, or at all comfortable with a non-privileged user mingling with my files.

so, editing the sudoers file whas exactly what i needed... and it even made my script simpler.

too bad we don't have thank you buttons any more.
    but i do thank you.
    Don't eff with The Cult...