Thread: Nautilus memory usage?!?!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Nautilus memory usage?!?!

I have nothing saved to my desktop, and nautilus is using about 200MB of memory. Why, and can it be reduced in any way? I am using GNOME, compiz, and cairo-dock for my UI.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Nautilus memory usage?!?!

i was going to write about buffered memory, and how programs hang on to memory they no longer need unless some other program needs it. but then i looked at my system monitor, and nautilus is using less than 24mb.

Beans

That's not normal, nautilus should only be using ~10-20MB of RAM, if that. Try killing the process and letting it start back up.
    http://xkcd.com/293/
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who confuse it with binary.

Beans
    Distro

That whole installation was messed up. I am in the process of reinstalling and if it still uses a lot of memory maybe it has to do with my configuration; the fact that I am using the exact same home directory might make it a tad harder to identify the problem if there is one still though...

Beans
    Distro

On a fresh install with almost all the same packages I am using much less memory. I think clamav-nautilus and clamav-daemon were the main culprits withm y previous system's memory (company policy says I need a virus scanner, but I am getting rid of those packages for sure)