Thread: Failed To Create a File System

Beans

Question Failed To Create a File System

HI guys

When I am doing a fresh install and it tries to create partition i get this error:

Failed to Create a file system
    The ext4 file system creation in partition #6 of Serial ATA Raid nvidia_cjtiagcb(stripe) failed.

How can I fix this.

Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Failed To Create a File System

Quote Originally Posted by joek71 View Post
    HI guys

When I am doing a fresh install and it tries to create partition i get this error:

Failed to Create a file system
    The ext4 file system creation in partition #6 of Serial ATA Raid nvidia_cjtiagcb(stripe) failed.

How can I fix this.

Thank you
    Is this a RAID setup?

I have heard there can be problems.

Check this out and see if it brings you further:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReliableRaid
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/SoftwareRAID

I think you may need the Alternate CD.

Hope this helps.

Beans

Yes this is a raid setp 0 on mt dfi expert mobo nvidia motherboard, with nvidia raid

Beans

I had no problem with 9.10 but with 10.4 is a problem, thought 10.4 was improved.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

A problem exists with 10.04 in that gparted won't recognize a raid. I posted a bug report (https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/600729) and received a response that suggested a quick fix. The problem occurs because 10.04 was distributed without a package called kpartx which is needed by gparted to read a raid. The solution is to open the 10.04 install from a live cd session, use synaptics to install kpartx for the session, and continue on to run a normal installation within the session. You may run into a glitch writing the grub boot loader to the raid but this can be fixed if needed.
    12.10 Quantal w/grub2/Mint13 installed on raid0, Gigabyte AMD MB, AMD 64x4 CPUs at 3.2GHz, 16 GB ram, HD7770 ATI video, dual boot win7 on 64gb ssd and win8 on 1Tb SATA raid. 13.04 installed on raid0 and ssd

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

I had this issue as well... trying to install 10.04 64bit server edition on a brand new server, with nVidia raid 1 (mirror) that has 2 1TB WD SATA HDD's.

After messing around with it for hours, I gave up and installed 9.10. It works like a charm! I just don't have time to mess around with this issue at the moment, this server has to be up and running by Monday!

I'll check back here by the time 10.10 comes out to see if the issue is fixed.

UPDATE:
    I threw caution to the wind and decided to do a dist-upgrade after my fresh install of 9.10 server... the machine is now running 10.04 server as smooth as silk. It takes up a bit more time but it's an easy workaround! At least now I have the nVidia raid 1 working beautifully!
    Last edited by CyberCam; July 25th, 2010 at 05:07 AM.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for life.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Unless the developer gets around to it, the situation still exists on 10.10 Alpha 2.
    12.10 Quantal w/grub2/Mint13 installed on raid0, Gigabyte AMD MB, AMD 64x4 CPUs at 3.2GHz, 16 GB ram, HD7770 ATI video, dual boot win7 on 64gb ssd and win8 on 1Tb SATA raid. 13.04 installed on raid0 and ssd