Thread: Audio Skips Only When System is Idle

Beans

Audio Skips Only When System is Idle

Hello, I'm new to the Ubuntu forums. I've been using Ubuntu for a while, but this is the first time I've had a problem that I'm not sure how to solve myself.

I had this problem in the previous release, but not in 9.10 (which I went back to). I was hoping it would clear up in 10.10, but it hasn't. Whenever I play a song in any program, or a video in any program, the audio/video will skip ONLY when I'm not moving my mouse or doing any other process. If I constantly move my mouse around, the audio/video will not skip. I was watching a video earlier while transferring a large amount of files in the background, and no skipping occurred. It only happens when I'm not moving my mouse or doing anything else.

It doesn't seem like a pulseaudio or alsa problem. I'm baffled as to why this happens, or how I can fix it.

Edit:
    Solved this myself.

Installed the 64 bit version on a whim to see if that would help. At first, the same problem persisted. After googling a little more thoroughly, came across this site about disabling ipv6.

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/05/how-t...untu-1004.html

After following the directions there and rebooting, the problem went away.

I went ahead and tried it on the 32 bit version of 10.10 I originally installed, but disabling ipv6 did not solve the problem. Kinda strange.
    Last edited by atiek; October 13th, 2010 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Solved...