Thread: Urgent, missing window decorations after upgrade

Beans

Urgent, missing window decorations after upgrade

I recently upgraded to 10.10 from 10.04, and after a few days I am now without window decorations for some reason. Whenever I launch a program from the panel or menu, it starts in the top left of the screen at some default-ish size with no window borders. alt-F4 doesn't work, and neither does alt-F2. None of the shortcuts defined by compiz work either. If I run compiz from terminal, all the windows and panels disappear for a few seconds, then reappear exactly the same.

Beans

Re: Urgent, missing window decorations after upgrade

Update, I switched to metacity and window borders are back. I'm without compiz however.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Try just switching back to compiz. The mere process of switching (in either direction) will often get windows decorations going again.

I had a problem with sporadic missing window decorations a while back. I went through my compiz settings and unselected some stuff that I didn't really need (for example I had the goldfish selected with an opaque cube) and that seems to have cured the problem.
    Life's a pitch. And then you sing!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hawthornso23 View Post
    Try just switching back to compiz. The mere process of switching (in either direction) will often get windows decorations going again.

I had a problem with sporadic missing window decorations a while back. I went through my compiz settings and unselected some stuff that I didn't really need (for example I had the goldfish selected with an opaque cube) and that seems to have cured the problem.
    Tried that, nothing but the same.

Beans
    Hidden!

I too have been putting up with the windows decorations going missing occasionally, for quite a while now. I have gotten around it by installing fusion-icon & ccsm and putting a fusion-icon entry in startup applications so it is always running when the machine is on.

Note, I set the GTK window decorator option on fusion-icon (located in the notification area when running) as well as tick the windows decorations plugin in compizconfig settings manager.

Whenever the decorations disappear, it is very simple to right click fusion icon in the notification area and use Reload Window Manager, this brings back the decorations every time for me.

This is not a fix by any means, more an easy (two click) workaround for my convenience.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I think it's a known bug..it also happents to me (10.04). I found this info on a forum:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ubu...sometimes.html

I made two scripts on my desktop (you can also made them as launchers) to help me to resolve the issue with just two clicks (and without installing any app

the first:
    nohup gtk-window-decorator --replace>/dev/null &

the second:
    nohup emerald --replace>/dev/null &

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sepo View Post
    I think it's a known bug..it also happents to me (10.04). I found this info on a forum:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ubu...sometimes.html

I made two scripts on my desktop (you can also made them as launchers) to help me to resolve the issue with just two clicks (and without installing any app

the first:
    nohup gtk-window-decorator --replace>/dev/null &

the second:
    nohup emerald --replace>/dev/null &
    I'm not using emerald. I tried completely removing all the compiz packages and installing again, but it did nothing.

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: Urgent, missing window decorations after upgrade

I've having the same problem, posting in #compiz in freenode, but no response yet.

Prior to the upgrade from Ubuntu 10.04 to 10.10, things worked fine. Since the upgrade, when I run compiz, window decorations do not show up and are missing. Running metacity shows the decorations...

fermulator@fermmy:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ dpkg --list | grep compiz
    ii compiz 1:0.8.6-0ubuntu9.1 OpenGL window and compositing manager
    ii compiz-core 1:0.8.6-0ubuntu9.1 OpenGL window and compositing manager
    ii compiz-dev 1:0.8.6-0ubuntu9.1 OpenGL window and compositing manager - development files
    ii compiz-fusion-plugins-extra 0.8.6-0ubuntu1 Collection of extra plugins from OpenCompositing for Compiz
    ii compiz-fusion-plugins-main 0.8.6-0ubuntu2 Compiz Fusion plugins - main collection
    ii compiz-gnome 1:0.8.6-0ubuntu9.1 OpenGL window and compositing manager - GNOME window decorator
    ii compiz-plugins 1:0.8.6-0ubuntu9.1 OpenGL window and compositing manager - plugins
    ii compizconfig-backend-gconf 0.8.4-1ubuntu5 Compiz Fusion configuration system - gconf backend
    ii compizconfig-settings-manager 0.8.2-0ubuntu1 Compiz configuration settings manager
    ii emerald 0.7.2-0ubuntu6 Decorator for compiz-fusion
    ii libcompizconfig0 0.8.4-0ubuntu3 Settings library for plugins - OpenCompositing Project
    ii libcompizconfig0-dev 0.8.4-0ubuntu3 Development file for plugin settings - OpenCompositing Project
    ii libemeraldengine0 0.7.2-0ubuntu6 Decoration engines for compiz-fusion
    ii python-compizconfig 0.8.4-2ubuntu2 Compizconfig bindings for python
    I've tried:
    1) ALT+F2: compiz --replace (flutters the screen as usual and reloads stuff, but doesn't fix)
    2) ALT+F2: metacity --replace (replaces with metacity, and window borders return, yay, but I want compiz...)
    3) ALT+F2: compiz --replace (replaces with compiz, window borders/decorations go away.. sad face)
    4) ALT+F2: "/usr/bin/compiz-decorator --replace" (nothing)
    5) ALT+F2: "/usr/bin/gtk-window-decorator --replace" (nothing)
    6) installed "emerald" and "fusion-icon" and fiddled with both ... to no avail.

... not sure what else to try ...
    ~Fermmy

Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: Urgent, missing window decorations after upgrade

After about an hour working with _coz and adamk in the compiz IRC channel, we finally figured it out! I have an ATI Radeon card, and was running the open source Radeon driver (shouldn't be an issue). But, the "reflection" plugin was enabled, and apparently there is a bug in the driver that the reflection plugin is trying to call ...

Disabling the "Reflection" plugin solved the problem, borders appeared.
    ~Fermmy