Thread: The worst language to learn programming from:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

The worst language to learn programming from:

I have seen this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=641120. But my question may be one of a more serious nature.

My high school is teaching kids Scheme as their first language. Any thoughts?

To demonstrate;
    Code:
    ;; This must be done in the IDE
    ;; (2r^2 * .5h^3)/(3r8h^1/2)
    (define (thing r h) ((/ (* (* 2 (expt r 2)) (* .5 (expt h 3))) (* (* 3 r) (* 8 (sqrt h))))
    (thing 1 2)
    ;; In Python for eg:
    ; thing = lambda r,h: (2(r**2) * .5(h**3))/(3r * 8(h**.5))
    ; thing(1,2)
    Scheme may teach you things about structure, but it has 0 real life use... Any defense for Scheme?
    Last edited by 1337455 10534; February 23rd, 2008 at 05:11 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: The worst language to learn programming from:

My opinion is simply going to be that, my opinion. But I think it is an excellent choice.

Learning Scheme teaches students to think in a mindset conducive to programming. Everything is data, everything is a list, from primitive to procedure definition, everything else is mere abstraction. This is true in every language, but it is most accessible in that format in scheme/lisp. Learning scheme will make anyone a better programmer, and make learning any other language much easier, no matter where you are in programming knowledge.

As far as real world use, yes, I prototype in scheme at times, it can be the easiest way to knock something out quickly. Scheme is a very active language and has a good community behind it. http://www.plt-scheme.org for more info and check out the DrScheme IDE. Nice stuff.

Scheme is also experiencing an upsurge due to the new r6rs standards being discussed/formalized. These will standardize the various dialects a good bit and make commercial applications a lot less leery of using it.

You may feel that it is a bad language to start out with, but personally I think that is probably because you have learned other languages first and have habits and preconceptions based on those languages, as a first language I don't think it'll be a problem.
    I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.

George Carlin.

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I have a professor who is a major Fortan user who is teaching an applied math course using Mathematica of all things. His defense of Mathematica (despite almost none of us using it after his course) is--paraphrasing of course--this:

It's just as important you learn how to learn a language as to learn a language you will use. In the real world, you won't always be given a choice about what language or software to use, so having experience learning a new language from scratch is a very useful skill.
    I tend to agree. When learning to program the choice of language should ultimately support teaching not only the right mindsets and skill sets but also how to learn a language. If brain**** serves the point of the class, I would expect to see it used (in the absence of at least better named languages) even though it serves almost no practical value.
    Euler_fan
    Ubuntu User # 15369 at the Ubuntu Counter Project
    Woot for GPG