Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a GUI way to bridge two connections

Beans

Is there a GUI way to bridge two connections

Hi, I want to to bridge two connections together, one is from NIC (et0) and another one is from wireless receiver (wl0). I'm quite scared to do things terminally. Is there a program (GUI) for this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Is there a GUI way to bridge two connections

Pretty sure the answer is no. I've been hunting around to see if the network-manager gui and how it administers my network interfaces will play nicely with a bridge setup. On my last Gusty install I basically had to remove network-manager and setup the bridge manually to make it work. I can see this coming eventually, but have no idea when.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Sorry to revive an old thread- but I'd like to agree with this. There needs to be a GUI way of doing this- not that I don't know my way around the terminal, but nm-applet is a fragile piece of garbage. The script way of doing this seems rather hackish and the applet is liable to break if you look at it the wrong way.

/rant over.
    Never sleep. Live in terminal. Think in code.

(-o___o-)

Beans

Firestarter will let you bridge connections, select which interface you want to be LAN and which you want to be WAN then check the box that says something about connection sharing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by kornphlake View Post
    Firestarter will let you bridge connections, select which interface you want to be LAN and which you want to be WAN then check the box that says something about connection sharing.
    Firestarter causes more problems than it solves. This is not a good solution.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Firestarter causes more problems than it solves. This is not a good solution.
    Do you care to elaborate as to what kind of problems firestarter causes? I don't have a lot of experience with firestarter or ubuntu, but given my limited exposure firestarter seems to do what it's advertised to do.

Beans

If you're using 9.04/.10 then you can just use the built in network manager. I bridged connection from my wireless to xbox with just a check box.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by squidmaster View Post
    If you're using 9.04/.10 then you can just use the built in network manager. I bridged connection from my wireless to xbox with just a check box.
    I'm trying to get my xbox360 to connect to my wireless network through my laptop. In windows I can just select the two and hit bridge, but so far I've tried to bridge my wireless wlan0 to my wired eth0 both with bridge-utils and the settings in network manager (Running 9.10) and neither worked. Am I missing anything?

Beans

Realllly simple! Let me upload some pictures

Beans

I believe that it uses two different "user profiles" for the connections. Anyway, it started working when I did this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast