Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Empathy gets network error on Yahoo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Empathy gets network error on Yahoo

Currently running Ubuntu 9.04 AMD64 Desktop. I've installed Empathy from the repositories.

I get a network error when I try to connect to my Yahoo connect. I know that the username and password are correct, because I can connect through the web.

I'm wondering if the problem could be a port (the default is 5050), but I don't have enough knowledge to diagnose or fix the problem if this is the case.

Any help to get Yahoo working through Empathy would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    "Always take the high road! That way, nothing will hit you when the brown, gooey stuff hits the fan."
    Additional setup for Ubuntu 14.04: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/fballem/Software%2014.04

Beans

Re: Empathy gets network error on Yahoo

Similar story to fballem, but on a different protocol: 64 bit 9.04 Desktop, just changed to Empathy instead of Pidgin, all has been working fine until just now, when I have started to get the network error message on MSN - my Yahoo is still fine.

Also get an error telling me I cannot make file transfers because the intended recipient doesn't have facilities to receive them. This is a bit of a backward step from Pidgin, which would transfer files via MSN and Yahoo, but not GTalk.

Voice and video only work on GTalk, but that is one more protocol than they worked on in Pidgin.

Whether it is Pidgin or Empathy, there ain't a lot of difference in performance. Skype is still the Rolls Royce app for Linux, if only I could get my Windahs Hillbilly mates to use it I could live happily ever after.

Beans

Hmmm, just saw a suggestion to try "killall telepathy-butterfly" in another post: did that and restarted Empathy, MSN is back.

Beans

Had the same "Network Error" problem with MSN. Tried the "killall telepathy-butterfly" thing and it came back to life ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Go to Edit > Accounts and in the Server box add cn. at the beginning. For example, if the Server box says "scs.msg.yahoo.com" then change it to "cn.scs.msg.yahoo.com"

Hopefully, this will fix your connection problem. And don't forget to disable and then re-enable the account for changes to take effect.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Cool Re: Empathy gets network error on Yahoo

is the "cn." a yahoo only solution? In any case, do you care to elaborate as to what this "cn." means, what server are we submitting our user data to when connecting to this server?

thanks
    Vevmedia - Montreal - Canada
    vevmedia.net/blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Still has Network Error after adding cn.
    advocating Free and Open Source Software, supporting the Open Web
    fight for your right to party and get your free cloud storage now

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by B Crowther View Post
    Hmmm, just saw a suggestion to try "killall telepathy-butterfly" in another post: did that and restarted Empathy, MSN is back.
    Indeed, killing butterfly restored my connection one time. I was trying to stay in contact, and Pidgin logged in very quickly (not that it hasn't shown some difficulty with MSN before).

This isn't a fix, though, and doesn't work every time. Is this an issue with MSN trying to outlaw clients?

I did notice, during current bloat upgrades - Live Messenger is disabled to force the upgrade now. The upgrade for Messenger is 140MB - and further inspection reveals a lot of parallel installations (Microsoft offer you the chance to select ones you wish to install - but they're pre selected for you in typical 'let's push it' fashion).

Reading the EULA reveals that by having a Live account, you agree not to use said account with any UNAUTHORISED messenger. It appears that Microsoft may be making life difficult for Empathy.

Any thoughts on this?

Beans

I've tried the above suggestions and still get a network error. Anyone know what the issue is? Is Empathy also affected by the Yahoo protocol change that broke Pidgin Yahoo support?

Beans

Bump, I'm getting the "network error" as well with Empathy trying to access my yahoo messenger account. Oh well, it looks like I'll be sticking with Pidgin and Kopete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast