Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Karmic Koala automatically have trim in effect ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Will Karmic Koala automatically have trim in effect ...

It's official now. 2nd Gen Intel drives have TRIM enabled in their latest firmware:

http://www.tcmagazine.com/comments.php?id=30487&catid=3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Does the fact that it's "Complete" in the Release Status mean that TRIM is working on the OS level?

Check it out: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/ReleaseStatus/Karmic

Under the kernel-karmic-ssd
    Last edited by shailesh; October 26th, 2009 at 06:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Odd that it says complete (I think just research/recommendations). But I'm 100% certain that TRIM does not 'auto' work if installing karmic to SSD. The TRIM kernel developer has stated so.

The truth about firmware 1.4 and Linux (first poster is misinformed).

mlord is the developer.

I would not count on it. But I would definitely expect it in 10.04

For OCZ vertex 512kb is best alignment. Maybe they will adjust the 128kb suggestion. Although the most important part is that it is multiples of 64kb which 128 and 512 are. You want aligned to the erase block.
    Last edited by andrewabc; October 26th, 2009 at 07:40 PM.

Beans

TRIM firmwares for both Intel and Indilinx controlers are out:
    http://www.anandtech.com/storage/sho...spx?i=3667&p=1

Performace difference is huge in used-ssd scenario:
    4KB Random Write, IOQ=16 => Run 1 => Run 2 after Deleting Partition
    Intel X25-M 80GB TRIM Firmware => 37.9 MB/s => 17.9 MB/s
    All work needed to be done is to send TRIM command to SSD once filesystem deleted some files. Ofcorse, TRIM should be followed with LBAs not in use any more. That way SSD has more space on it's disposal, affecting both performance and wear leveling.

Very important thing to have, no doubt!

btw, I would go for complete erase block alignment:
    http://anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3631&p=3
    Last edited by tnttrx; October 26th, 2009 at 08:36 PM. Reason: last link

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by tnttrx View Post
    btw, I would go for complete erase block alignment:
    http://anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3631&p=3
    Which for ocz vertex is 512kb which is what I stated in my previous post, and in your link.
    Although the article you linked states that for higher 4kb random, you want 4kb alignment. Which I don't think anyone recommends. If you go with 512kb alignment, adn write 4kb file, the entire 512 will be rewritten. Better for larger files, worse for smaller.

Although I completely understand if the OS could auto determine this for each SSD and appropriately automatically align properly.

OCZ new firmware was out October 13.
    Last edited by andrewabc; October 26th, 2009 at 09:49 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by andrewabc View Post
    Which for ocz vertex is 512kb which is what I stated in my previous post, and in your link.
    Although the article you linked states that for higher 4kb random, you want 4kb alignment. Which I don't think anyone recommends. If you go with 512kb alignment, adn write 4kb file, the entire 512 will be rewritten. Better for larger files, worse for smaller.

Although I completely understand if the OS could auto determine this for each SSD and appropriately automatically align properly.

OCZ new firmware was out October 13.
    So we don't have trim in Karmic? Should I still buy an SSD? And if I do a clean install of Windows (which automatically aligns) and then install Ubuntu next to it, will the two fs remain aligned? Is there that much of a performance degradation if I don't really care about the write amplification (I definitely don't write enough data to kill the thing before the warranty ends)?

Beans

alignment to 512KB will satisfy 4KB-alignment, too.
    I would go for 512KB.

@idigchess
    SSD will still be much faster then hard drive, and once TRIM is implemented in Ubuntu, you will benefit as it will speedup (TRIM) your already used SSD.
    go for SSD, but watch what you buy: Intel G2 or Indilinx based OCZ (Vertex, Agility) or Patriot (Troqx).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by tnttrx View Post
    alignment to 512KB will satisfy 4KB-alignment, too.
    I would go for 512KB.

@idigchess
    SSD will still be much faster then hard drive, and once TRIM is implemented in Ubuntu, you will benefit as it will speedup (TRIM) your already used SSD.
    go for SSD, but watch what you buy: Intel G2 or Indilinx based OCZ (Vertex, Agility) or Patriot (Troqx).
    Yeah, I found the Intel G2 160 for only 470 dollars. Awesome. How would I go about aligning it though? And is it worth the effort? Oh, and I know that my W7 partition will automatically trim itself, but would the trim script (wiper.sh) work equally well for the ubuntu partition, since it probably won't be until next release that trim is implemented? Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by idigchess View Post
    And if I do a clean install of Windows (which automatically aligns) and then install Ubuntu next to it, will the two fs remain aligned?
    I partitioned with win7, then formatted some partitions with ext4 (via live cd).
    They remain aligned.

I went through the new-used-trimmed(=new) cycle and honestly in real-life apps I see no difference whatsoever.
    I needed synthetic benchmarks to notice the degradation after use and the improvement from trim.
    But I guess that might be different for different ssds.

Oh and trim or no trim, small file performance is *dramatically* better with ubuntu/ext4 than it is under win7/ntfs.
    HP Elitebook 8530p | C2D T9400 - 4GB DDR2 800 - ATI mobility radeon 3650 - Intel x25m 160GB G2
    A monkey hitting random keys on a computer keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely create fglrx drivers...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by apocalypse80 View Post
    I went through the new-used-trimmed(=new) cycle and honestly in real-life apps I see no difference whatsoever.
    everything depends on how hard you used SSD before triming.

anyway, how did you trim it?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast