Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Karmic Koala automatically have trim in effect ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Will Karmic Koala automatically have trim in effect ...

Quote Originally Posted by tnttrx View Post
    everything depends on how hard you used SSD before triming.

anyway, how did you trim it?
    Windows 7, with the intel ssd tool - just a few hours ago.
    It's seen some use, including lots of benchmarks, 1.6TB of total writes according to the Intel tool
    HP Elitebook 8530p | C2D T9400 - 4GB DDR2 800 - ATI mobility radeon 3650 - Intel x25m 160GB G2
    A monkey hitting random keys on a computer keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely create fglrx drivers...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by apocalypse80 View Post
    Windows 7, with the intel ssd tool - just a few hours ago.
    It's seen some use, including lots of benchmarks, 1.6TB of total writes according to the Intel tool
    well, here I'm not sure, but you should check if Intel Tool can affect ext4 partition.

afaik, wiper tools like Intel Tool ask filesystem to list all files and their location and then feed SSD with all other locations (as free). that way SSD deletes all unused parts of filesystem from it's own "used blocks table".

if Intel Tool can "communicate" with ext4 just as well as with ntfs, it will work. but, I'm afraid that Intel just cares about m$ users and will not try to implement anything for ext4.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by idigchess View Post
    Trim needs to be implemented at the OS level, not just at the kernel level.
    Are you sure?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

if Intel Tool can "communicate" with ext4 just as well as with ntfs, it will work. but, I'm afraid that Intel just cares about m$ users and will not try to implement anything for ext4.
    Bingo.
    It lists my ntfs and fat32 partitions, but nothing about the ext4 ones or swap.
    HP Elitebook 8530p | C2D T9400 - 4GB DDR2 800 - ATI mobility radeon 3650 - Intel x25m 160GB G2
    A monkey hitting random keys on a computer keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely create fglrx drivers...

Beans

Intel Tool just has no way to determine which block doesn't contain valid data any more, except if list of all valid data is supplied by filesystem.
    Last edited by tnttrx; October 26th, 2009 at 11:33 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

well, here I'm not sure, but you should check if Intel Tool can affect ext4 partition.

afaik, wiper tools like Intel Tool ask filesystem to list all files and their location and then feed SSD with all other locations (as free). that way SSD deletes all unused parts of filesystem from it's own "used blocks table".

Can the wiper.sh tool that people use within ubuntu wipe ntfs partitions? That might be a good way to get the entire fs trimmed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

So we don't have trim in Karmic? Should I still buy an SSD? And if I do a clean install of Windows (which automatically aligns) and then install Ubuntu next to it, will the two fs remain aligned? Is there that much of a performance degradation if I don't really care about the write amplification (I definitely don't write enough data to kill the thing before the warranty ends)?
    No TRIM in karmic unless you download and run separate program (still not really recommended yet).

You can align an SSD from ubuntu livecd (or another hard drive). Dunno about windows/linux combos on same SSD.

You probably won't notice a lot of speed loss by not aligning.

Read
    Linux - Tips, tweaks and alignment.

If you buy OCZ vertex/agility, you can get firmware with garbage collection which speeds up SSD (similar to TRIM). This works on all OS and it is the SSD that does the work in the background. Basically it is being recommended for everyone except those running win7 (as it is the only one that supports TRIM).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by andrewabc View Post
    No TRIM in karmic unless you download and run separate program (still not really recommended yet).

You can align an SSD from ubuntu livecd (or another hard drive). Dunno about windows/linux combos on same SSD.

You probably won't notice a lot of speed loss by not aligning.

Read
    Linux - Tips, tweaks and alignment.

If you buy OCZ vertex/agility, you can get firmware with garbage collection which speeds up SSD (similar to TRIM). This works on all OS and it is the SSD that does the work in the background. Basically it is being recommended for everyone except those running win7 (as it is the only one that supports TRIM).
    Seems like a lot of work for the alignment. Is it worth it. Also, what about the wiper.sh tool? If I use that instead of indilinx garbage collection are the results the same? It seemed to me like they would be, but I am by no means an expert on the topic. I just wanted to go with an intel drive based on my research, and those don't have the garbage collection so I'd have to use wiper.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Seems like a lot of work for the alignment. Is it worth it. Also, what about the wiper.sh tool? If I use that instead of indilinx garbage collection are the results the same? It seemed to me like they would be, but I am by no means an expert on the topic. I just wanted to go with an intel drive based on my research, and those don't have the garbage collection so I'd have to use wiper.
    I think alignment by the time I read the guides, and carefully making sure I was doing it correctly, and got it done took 30 minutes. Not as long as it looks. I havn't done any other tweaks other than almost turning off swap. I'm running ubuntu 9.04, so no need to do anything until 9.10 installed (waste of time doing it to 9.04 if only having it installed fr another week).

Yah, the linux program (TRIM) and garbage collection should give similar speed increases (I have no idea, but really they should based upon OCZ TRIM vs GC firmware). Hopefully for 10.04 ubuntu has TRIM enabled by default, so you'll only have to deal with it for 6 months.

I was going to get a 80gb intel but the price didn't come down fast enough and a 60gb vertex went on sale for $200 CAD free shipping (meanwhile 80gb intel is currently $300 CAD + shipping).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by andrewabc View Post
    I think alignment by the time I read the guides, and carefully making sure I was doing it correctly, and got it done took 30 minutes. Not as long as it looks. I havn't done any other tweaks other than almost turning off swap. I'm running ubuntu 9.04, so no need to do anything until 9.10 installed (waste of time doing it to 9.04 if only having it installed fr another week).

Yah, the linux program (TRIM) and garbage collection should give similar speed increases (I have no idea, but really they should based upon OCZ TRIM vs GC firmware). Hopefully for 10.04 ubuntu has TRIM enabled by default, so you'll only have to deal with it for 6 months.

I was going to get a 80gb intel but the price didn't come down fast enough and a 60gb vertex went on sale for $200 CAD free shipping (meanwhile 80gb intel is currently $300 CAD + shipping).
    So, if I just start the partition 2048 sectors from the disk boundary would that be enough? I could do that in gparted, right?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast