Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad sectors in HDD reported

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Bad sectors in HDD reported

I just got the same problem. 72 million bad sectors? I don't think so. Looks like a bug.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by gtaluvit View Post
    I just got the same problem. 72 million bad sectors? I don't think so. Looks like a bug.
    Can you please tell me how many days ago you got the report and did you take any action?
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!

Definitely a bug yes. I should have looked closer at the actual count on the OP's screenshot, but it was so low res it hurt my eyes and I just focused on the bold red text. Turns out he would have 65500 relocated sectors, which just as bogus. FWIW my drive has 100 spare sectors.

Beans
    Hidden!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by P4man View Post
    Definitely a bug yes. I should have looked closer at the actual count on the OP's screenshot, but it was so low res it hurt my eyes and I just focused on the bold red text. Turns out he would have 65500 relocated sectors, which just as bogus. FWIW my drive has 100 spare sectors.
    Thank you very much. You make me relaxed. I was too much worried about my machine. Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!

Its good to worry about it. In the sense that it encourages you to make backups which is always a good idea. Harddrive crashes often come out of nowhere.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by P4man View Post
    Its good to worry about it. In the sense that it encourages you to make backups which is always a good idea. Harddrive crashes often come out of nowhere.
    I pray all the time to god that to keep my machine healthy, because I love her very very much. That is why I am so much worried. Please don't mind anybody.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by az View Post
    Your drive is made by Hitachi? Check to see if your drive is still under warranty:

http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/sit...062f6aac4f0a0/
    Thanks for the link! I've got 3 Hitachi drives being used on my server, one of which has "1" bad sector that was found and repaired.

I'll bookmark that link and RMA the drives if they get to the critical point.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Thanks for the link! I've got 3 Hitachi drives being used on my server, one of which has "1" bad sector that was found and repaired.

I'll bookmark that link and RMA the drives if they get to the critical point.
    One bad block is no big deal. That's normal and not a reason to RMA adrive. I could not see the details on the screenshot so I just assumed it was a significant problem.

Also, from Canada, I believe the warranty period on Hitachi drives is two years - that's not very much.
    I lost a "z". Anyone seen it around here?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I find it funny because it's reporting twice as many bad sectors as sectors on the HD! For the record, I just installed Karmic last night which is why I saw this issue. It's a Samsung HD, not Hitachi. It'll be interesting to see if they get this fixed prior to release because if this many people have seen it in the RC, the full release will be funny. Not good when a new install of an OS says "Your harddrive is about to die, you better buy a new one!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast