Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Experiences with Asus UL30

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Asus UL30 anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by avilella View Post
    WOOT! I think that worked! I was able to load the module, run the script and the output told me it worked. And Powertop showed a big drop in power usage. Thanks!!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by rdjse View Post
    WOOT! I think that worked! I was able to load the module, run the script and the output told me it worked. And Powertop showed a big drop in power usage. Thanks!!
    Does that mean you can switch between the intel and nvidia card? I really want to be able to use the nvidia card without slowing my hard drive down.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Meizirkki View Post
    Huh! JT version has some neat HW specs
    Ah, yes it does. I knew it was coming out about three months ago when I bought my VT but I needed a new laptop right away. Now, I am so tempted to put my VT up for sale and get a JT. It's only a hundredish more than I paid for my VT and packs a lot more power. In my opinion the G210 in the VT packs quite a punch for an ultraportable in this price range but the G230 with 1GB DDR3?!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Troglodyte View Post
    Does that mean you can switch between the intel and nvidia card? I really want to be able to use the nvidia card without slowing my hard drive down.
    I think that is just so you can disable the nvidia card to save power. Am I correct?

You still have to run in compatible mode to use the nvidia card right?

Someone want to clear this up?

Beans

It seems like it's possible to switch between the cards now... Xorg restart still needed. And no idea if it works with closed source nVidia drivers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Meizirkki View Post
    It seems like it's possible to switch between the cards now... Xorg restart still needed. And no idea if it works with closed source nVidia drivers.
    So does this mean you can run in enhanced mode instead of compatible even with the nvidia card on?

How does the open source driver work with the G210? Does vdpau work and is 3d support anywhere near the level it is with the proprietary driver?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Penguin View Post
    So does this mean you can run in enhanced mode instead of compatible even with the nvidia card on?

How does the open source driver work with the G210? Does vdpau work and is 3d support anywhere near the level it is with the proprietary driver?

I'm interested in the enchanged mode too.

Open Source nVidia driver? I have never heard of that.. we can use nVidia card with some generic standard drivers but there will be no 3D acceleration at all. vdpau might work, it isn't dependent on the drivers, is it?

EDIT: http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/ no 3D acceleration yet it seems :/
    Last edited by Meizirkki; August 22nd, 2010 at 10:26 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unhappy Re: Asus UL30 anyone?

I have used the post #110 for my UL30A and Ubuntu 10.04 (both i386 and AMD64). It's an excellent job, Cierreics is GREAT!
    I have still a problem with a touch-pad on/off using Fn + F9. It worked for me not until I have used two tips shown here and here.
    Additionally to the file /etc/acpi/asus-touchpad.sh (shown by Cierreics) I have corrected the file
    /etc/acpi/events/asus-touchpad:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/acpi/events/asus-touchpad
    delete everything and paste this:
    Code:
    # /etc/acpi/events/asus-touchpad
    # This is called when the user presses the touchpad button and calls
    # /etc/acpi/asus-touchpad.sh for further processing.
    event=hotkey ATKD 0000006b
    action=/etc/acpi/asus-touchpad.sh
    save and close.
    Now I can really turn the touch-pad on and off, but... there is an another problem! If I try to turn this thing OFF and use a keyboard, it will be automatically turned ON again.
    Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by bvgd View Post
    I have used the post #110 for my UL30A and Ubuntu 10.04 (both i386 and AMD64). It's an excellent job, Cierreics is GREAT!

I have corrected the file
    /etc/acpi/events/asus-touchpad:
    Now I can really turn the touch-pad on and off, but... there is an another problem! If I try to turn this thing OFF and use a keyboard, it will be automatically turned ON again.
    Any ideas?
    I didnt need to modify /etc/acpi/events/asus-touchpad file, but, oh my, it's true!! Touchpad turns on every time you use a keyboard, even an external one.....I haven't disable touchpad for a while, one month ago it worked, now, maybe due to a kernel upgrade, it's completely useless!!

I will investigate...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Cierreics View Post

I didnt need to modify /etc/acpi/events/asus-touchpad file, but, oh my, it's true!! Touchpad turns on every time you use a keyboard, even an external one.....I haven't disable touchpad for a while, one month ago it worked, now, maybe due to a kernel upgrade, it's completely useless!!

I will investigate...
    The ppa:guido-iodice/best-intel repository gives 2.6.35-17 kernel version now. It seems me to work really good.
    The file /etc/acpi/events/asus-touchpad is from the base lucid lynx, is't true? And this file in original version contains:

Code:
    event=hotkey (ATKD|HOTK) (0000006[ab]|00000037)
    action=/etc/acpi/asus-touchpad.sh
    Means this that an event Fn + F9 with a code 0x6b wil be recognized and processed using this code?

Beans

2.6.35-14-generic broke the multi-touch.

Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast