Thread: libgtk-1.2.so.0 missing

Beans

libgtk-1.2.so.0 missing

Hi All,

I am using Ubuntu 9.10 on my HP dv2500 laptop; I have just now installed Stata 9. But the Stata GUI does not work because the libgtk-1.2.so.0 is missing.

When I type xstata at the command prompt I get

HTML Code:
    xstata: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    I saw that libgtk-1.2.so.0 is not available in the Synaptic Package Manager (because it is a very old and outdated library, I guess). How do I get it and install it?

Thanks in advance.

Aam-aadmi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: libgtk-1.2.so.0 missing

search in synaptic for the "libgtk2.0-dev" package and install it....or just open a terminal and type or copy/paste the following:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev
    hope that helps.

Beans

I did install that but the problem still persists. Any further suggestions?

Aam-aadmi

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: libgtk-1.2.so.0 missing

I'm a little out of my element here, but I think it might be possible to set up a symbolic link linking libgtk-1.2.so.0 to the libgtk-2.0 "stuff". Someone else would need to help you on the syntax for that.

dave

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I am having the same problem. I ran the aforementioned code and I had already tried all the suggestions on this thread: http://www.uluga.ubuntuforums.org/sh...d.php?t=599032

What I end up with is this:

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package libgtk2.0-dev

Same thing happens minus the -dev

I am running the 32-bit Karmic
    Last edited by Kebrethian; December 19th, 2009 at 04:29 AM. Reason: added info

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thanks to the thread above, I've been able to install and run GSview (a great front-end for Ghostscript).
    Bless you!
    Phil

Beans

I am getting following error on adding the line to Synaptic package manage and running the update command for apt

apt-get update

Hit http://in.archive.ubuntu.com precise-backports/universe Translation-en
    Fetched 1,724 kB in 53s (32.0 kB/s)
    W: Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...source/Sources 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.202 80]

W: Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...-i386/Packages 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.202 80]

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
    E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

I am using ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.