Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu and the Toshiba NB300 / NB305

Beans

Re: Ubuntu and the Toshiba NB300 / NB305

Reinstalled from usb and things are working great - well... as great as everyone on the above 12 pages.
    A partial install was the problem... not sure how that happened.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The function keys (like the screen brightness) work in kernel v2.6.28 (and maybe earlier), but not in 2.6.30.

I found this out accidentally; I was playing around with crunchbang and the liveCD starts out with v2.6.28 on it. To my surprise (I've had the fn key problem as well with other distros), the screen brightness and numlock functions both worked. Those were the only ones I tested.

When I updated the kernel to 2.6.30 (wireless wasn't supported by .28), the function abilities stopped working. I haven't tried compiling my own kernel yet, though I'm thinking about trying.

Hope this might spur others on to take a look. BTW, I haven't seen a bug report submitted for the fn stuff; has anyone come across one yet?

-Hound, <Toshiba NB305 running (atm) crunchbang 9.04.01>

(Note: I know this thread has become focused on the sleep/hibernate issue, but I haven't found an off-shoot to focus on the FN issues. If you know of one, please let me know and I'll post this there as well.)

Beans

I can confirm the problems with suspend/hibernate, brightness keys, and audio (when nohz and highres is set to off) on Ubuntu 10.04 (Desktop) on my Toshiba NB305.

I just started using Ubuntu (officially) for the first time on Saturday, so there's not much else that I can do to help with diagnosing the pulseaudio problem.

Beans

The following does not work for fixing the suspend/resume problem. I am including it here only so that others don't try.

I wondered if the problem could be that the tickless clock somehow had a bug in its relationship with ahci. As such, I removed the ahci module, set the SATA controller to compatibility and then removed the "nohz=off highres=off" as boot parameters. The boot time is fast (which is, I believe) just because I have the SATA controller set to compatibility. The suspend/resume problem is the same however, i.e. it takes 5+ minutes to resume from suspend.

Beans

I have had similar issues with my NB 305.
    After switching SATA mode to compatibility I was able to routinely boot successfully, as opposed to 1/3 times. Then I read the stuff about editing the grub value, changed it, and things seemed to work somewhat better.
    Oh, and I changed the SATA mode back to AHCI and it seems fine, so the grub edit seems to be the important thing.

Here's where I'm at now: suspend works, but IFF I first disable networking. When I wake it back up it automatically re-enables networking and works fine.
    Hardware buttons for screen brightness do not work.
    Sound seems fine, haven't tried headphones yet. Just tried speakers, works fine.

So, the disable-network-before-suspend problem is my big bug. Otherwise very happy with UNR 10.04! Beats having to use Windows XP home by a long way.

-Ben

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by benstar View Post
    I have had similar issues with my NB 305.
    After switching SATA mode to compatibility I was able to routinely boot successfully, as opposed to 1/3 times. Then I read the stuff about editing the grub value, changed it, and things seemed to work somewhat better.
    Oh, and I changed the SATA mode back to AHCI and it seems fine, so the grub edit seems to be the important thing.

Here's where I'm at now: suspend works, but IFF I first disable networking. When I wake it back up it automatically re-enables networking and works fine.
    Hardware buttons for screen brightness do not work.
    Sound seems fine, haven't tried headphones yet. Just tried speakers, works fine.

So, the disable-network-before-suspend problem is my big bug. Otherwise very happy with UNR 10.04! Beats having to use Windows XP home by a long way.

-Ben

How did you edit the grub line? By adding "nohz=off highres=off"? This is how I have it and I don't need to disable networking before I put it to sleep.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

not that this is the best solution, but for those of you who are still concerned with the screen brightness and battery life on the nb300, i found out that FN+f6 and FN+f5 work fine when you're in the grub boot menu. I've got some increase in battery life (also after installing laptop-mode-tools as well). Also, beneficially, the brightness setting stays the same when you shutdown and reboot.

in case you don't have you're grub menu showing (which is by default in Ubuntu netbook), to do so, you need to comment out GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0 in /etc/default/grub and then update grub with 'sudo update-grub'

for me, this will suffice till we get an update to ubuntu/kernel

ps. forgive me if someone has already mentioned this, but ive only skimmed through this 13 page thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Adding the folowing line to /etc/default/grub worked for me

Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nohz=off highres=off"
    It solved the resume from suspend problem and also cured the very long bootup.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Iscran View Post
    How many hours does everyone get out of their battery when running ubuntu? I'm getting an an estimated 5.5 out of a full charge. That's a bit disappointing.
    yeah, i get 5.5 to barely 6 with all the modifications mentioned in this thread. it is disappointing considering the netbook is advertised with 9hrs battery life and almost all internet reviews confirm at least 8hrs with normal usage (with Windows i presume).

im gonna try the meego distro soon just to compare battery life since it is "supposed" to be optimised for the atom cpu and power usage. im just wary cause i know it doesnt support 3G usb modems out of the box

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kdrakon View Post
    yeah, i get 5.5 to barely 6 with all the modifications mentioned in this thread. it is disappointing considering the netbook is advertised with 9hrs battery life and almost all internet reviews confirm at least 8hrs with normal usage (with Windows i presume).

im gonna try the meego distro soon just to compare battery life since it is "supposed" to be optimised for the atom cpu and power usage. im just wary cause i know it doesnt support 3G usb modems out of the box
    I think a big portion of the low battery life can be explained by the nohz=off and highres=off. These basically turn off the tickless kernel so the kernel wakes itself a lot every second. This increases battery usage. In a non-scientific test I booted without the kernel parameters above and I was able to get the watt usage down to about 8 whereas with those options it was around 12.5. That's a 33% decrease in power consumption. A 33% increase in battery life would take it from about 6 hours to about 8 hours, which is approximately what we would otherwise expect.

Just as an FYI. I have upgraded to Maverick Meerkat alpha 1 which runs kernel 2.6.35. This updated kernel doesn't fix the suspend/resumeI issue. It appears that we really are on our own to fix this as the kernel maintainers don't seem to be noticing it.

I wonder how big a pile of money one has to collect to get their attention. I would put up at least $50.

Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast