Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is my laptop strong enough 4 Ubuntu 9.10 ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Talking Is my laptop strong enough 4 Ubuntu 9.10 ?

The laptop was a gift from a close friend of mine. I am taking a college class that is based around Ubuntu. Basically it is Linux 101 or so I think that is what it is on. My text book that I had to buy is called (Beginning Ubuntu Linux, Fourth Edition) http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Ubun.../dp/1430219998

This is the college class that I am taking

CISC 323 Linux Operating System

Prerequisite
    : None
    Advisory: CISC 300 and ability to touch type.
    Description: This course introduces the Linux operating system for microcomputers. Concepts include kernels, file structures, daemons, shells, GUIs, procedures for installing software, creation of user accounts, shell commands, scripts, and file security.

This is the list of SPECS on the laptop

* Processor: Intel Celeron M 1.40GHz/1.50GHz or Pentium M 725 (1.60GHz, 400MHZ FSB, 2MB Cache)
    * Memory: 1.28GB (Is upgraded to max ram)
    * Ports: 3 USB 2.0, 15-pin monitor out, 10/100 Ethernet, Modem, headphones, microphone, 1 PCMCIA slot
    * Screen: 14.1" XGA 1024 x 768 or 15" XGA 1024 x 768
    * Graphics: Integrated Intel Extreme 2 Graphics
    * Hard Drive 30 gigs @ (4200RPM)
    * Optical Drive: CD Burner/DVD-ROM
    * Wireless: Optional Dell 1350 (802.11 b/g)

Is this going to be fine for learning Ubuntu/Linux ? is there anything ells that I can upgrade with out having to fork over loads of cash ?

Thanks
    Last edited by retro_killa; January 18th, 2010 at 07:56 AM.

Beans

Re: Is my laptop strong enough 4 Ubuntu 9.10 ?

Those specks look pretty good to this amateur. It may not be a rocket, but I think it could serve your purposes.

Try the LiveCD version before installing. If the LiveCD runs decent, I'd say your system could handle it. Of course cpu intensive stuff like movies may be an issue, but I'm thinking that is unlikely with your specs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

The recommended minimum requirements are:

• 700 MHz x86 processor
    • 384 MB of system memory (RAM)
    • 8 GB of disk space
    • Graphics card capable of 1024x768 resolution
    • Sound card
    • A network or Internet connection

So your laptop should run ubuntu just fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Re: Is my laptop strong enough 4 Ubuntu 9.10 ?

My suggestion is that try booting/running ubuntu from a USB Pendrive ...Because it will show you the performance of the machine close to how it will be after install..CDROM's will be slower than USB drives. Just create a bootable usb.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Since this is a laptop, your upgrade options are limited, the only thing you could really upgrade without shelling out a large amount of cash is the HDD, but assuming you don't put heaps of media stuff on it, you should be fine.

The specs look more than adequate to run Ubuntu, though you *may* want to investigate Xubuntu, as this is a slightly less resource-intensive version of Ubuntu that uses XFCE as its Desktop Environment, as opposed to GNOME, which Ubuntu uses.
    Last edited by baddog144; January 18th, 2010 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Wow I'm tired.
    I am currently unable to come up with a witty statement to put in my signature. Please check back later.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I for got to add in that Ubuntu 9.10 is installed & running well on this laptop that I listed the specs for above.

This might sound odd but the CD/ISO I d/l from Ubuntu.com did not install I had to install Ubuntu 7.10 then upgrade from the Update Manager all the way to 9.10 took me a while but now I have 9.10 running & it looks to be doing well.

On the plus side all of the drivers where installed & I did not have to hunt any of them down or manually install anything to get this laptop to work.

So I think that I am in good hands. I would not mind making my screen rez a bit smaller to view because I feel like I am going blind with how big all the font & icons are lol the laptop is set @ max revolution right now I am stuck viewing @ 1024 x 768 & it would be fooking sweet to go 1224 x 986 or even 1024 x 886 if there was away :/
    Last edited by retro_killa; January 18th, 2010 at 08:18 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

At one time, I ran Ubuntu on a 400 MHz w/256 MB RAM and I've seen 9.04 run on that system. Yours should do just fine.
    MCP, A+/Linux+ Certified IT Technician
    System Specs | Dress up your "Super Button" FREE
    "If sometimes you can't be good, then be VERY good at being naughty!"

Beans

Your laptop will be fine. Thats more than enough power for ubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by baddog144 View Post
    The specs look more than adequate to run Ubuntu, though you *may* want to investigate Xubuntu, as this is a slightly less resource-intensive version of Ubuntu that uses XFCE as its Desktop Environment, as opposed to GNOME, which Ubuntu uses.
    Minimal install and the adding Xfce is a better option IMO......xubuntu is pretty much as heavy as ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by cascade9 View Post
    Your laptop will be fine. Thats more than enough power for ubuntu.

Minimal install and the adding Xfce is a better option IMO......xubuntu is pretty much as heavy as ubuntu.
    Hmm. Yeah, I suppose that would be better
    I am currently unable to come up with a witty statement to put in my signature. Please check back later.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by retro_killa View Post
    I for got to add in that Ubuntu 9.10 is installed & running well on this laptop that I listed the specs for above.

This might sound odd but the CD/ISO I d/l from Ubuntu.com did not install I had to install Ubuntu 7.10 then upgrade from the Update Manager all the way to 9.10 took me a while but now I have 9.10 running & it looks to be doing well.

On the plus side all of the drivers where installed & I did not have to hunt any of them down or manually install anything to get this laptop to work.

So I think that I am in good hands. I would not mind making my screen rez a bit smaller to view because I feel like I am going blind with how big all the font & icons are lol the laptop is set @ max revolution right now I am stuck viewing @ 1024 x 768 & it would be fooking sweet to go 1224 x 986 or even 1024 x 886 if there was away :/
    You can change the font size in: System> Preferences> Appearance> Fonts tab or by right clicking your desktop and selecting change Desktop Background> Fonts tab. Might make`it easier on your eyes.
    God does not play dice with the universe - Albert Einstein
    Sure I do, I just use loaded dice. - warfacegod

An open forum. Its a free for all. Check us out. https://openlinuxforums.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast