Thread: Attach sticky notes to desktop

Beans

Attach sticky notes to desktop

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to put an editable todo list on my Ubuntu 9.10 desktop. It doesn't have to be fancy: in fact, the sticky notes that are already included with Ubuntu are perfect for what I'm looking for. The only downside to these notes, however, is that they minimize - if other applications are on top of them, the only way to see the note is to minimize all the applications on top or click the sticky note icon twice so that the notes minimize and then come back.

Is there a way to just attach the sticky notes to the desktop, so that I could just hit show desktop and see my todo list? Another option would be to have some sort of editable text box attached to the panel - when I click on the icon in the panel, the text would appear, and I could type on it then. When I click on other applications, it minimizes back into the panel.

Does anybody know of any programme out there that could accomplish this? If so, I would be extremely grateful for your reply.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Attach sticky notes to desktop

Do you have Compiz installed by any chance?

If so you can activate the widget layer. If you install Screenlets there will be an option in the program to add the screenlets to a widget layer. The widget layer it will be added to is the widget layer you activated in Compiz. In Compiz you can set a key stroke to view the widget layer. When you hit that key the desktop will dim and it will show what every widget you have, whether, sticky notes, stocks, ect... Really cool and useful. Hope this helps and did not confuse you.

http://www.screenlets.org/index.php/Home
    Last edited by linux4life88; February 10th, 2010 at 02:14 AM.
    We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about - Charles Kingsley

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Alternatively, you could put a simple text document on your desktop containing your list. You can then resize the icon large enough to be legible on your desktop.
    "We're all in this together, kid." --H. Tuttle (a.k.a. H. Buttle)
    "Maybe it's a layer 8 problem." --thatguruguy
    A High-Tech Blech!

Beans

Smile Re: Attach sticky notes to desktop

Quote Originally Posted by linux4life88 View Post
    Do you have Compiz installed by any chance?

If so you can activate the widget layer. If you install Screenlets there will be an option in the program to add the screenlets to a widget layer. The widget layer it will be added to is the widget layer you activated in Compiz. In Compiz you can set a key stroke to view the widget layer. When you hit that key the desktop will dim and it will show what every widget you have, whether, sticky notes, stocks, ect... Really cool and useful. Hope this helps and did not confuse you.

http://www.screenlets.org/index.php/Home
    Thank you linux4life88! I discovered screenlets and used it to create persistent sticky notes.

I had the same problem of ThomasTheTan (I want sticky notes not to disappear when I click on "show desktop" button)

That's what I did:
    1. In terminal type
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:screenlets-dev/ppa
    then
    sudo apt-get update
    and finally
    sudo apt-get install screenlets
    2. Go to Application > Accessories > Screenlets
    3. In the Screenlets-manager window select the screenlet "Lipik"
    (click on it)
    4. If you want notes to automatically start on log-in check the checkbox "Auto start on login" (bottom-left side)
    5. click "launch/add" (left side)
    6. if you do not want notes to stay always above other windows,
    right-click on the top of note > Window > uncheck "Keep above"
    7. you're done

Beans

Simply ... BRILLIANT!

(me being a fan of low-tech)

Quote Originally Posted by jamesisin View Post
    Alternatively, you could put a simple text document on your desktop containing your list. You can then resize the icon large enough to be legible on your desktop.
    In an open source world, who needs gates and windows?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

stallinux - Glad you approve. I read that somewhere, but I don't recall the source. Tried it and found it too limited for what I do with notes. Worth remembering though.
    "We're all in this together, kid." --H. Tuttle (a.k.a. H. Buttle)
    "Maybe it's a layer 8 problem." --thatguruguy
    A High-Tech Blech!