Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rsync over SMB share syncing all files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Exclamation Rsync over SMB share syncing all files

Hi,
    I'm having some trouble figuring out rsync and getting it to do what I want. I need some help finding the settings that will result in the desired output.

I run a hybrid Windows, Linux / Ubuntu small business network. I'm down to one Windows box actually.

I have a QNAS Linux based NAS

I have a Ubuntu "server" (atom based mobo) Tuxback.

I have 3 inexpensive NAS devices.

These consitute a multi-tiered backup strategy that leverages rsync to provide real time data availability.

Basically a replica of the data is copied from the QNAS and Windows server to a folder called /backup

This part works reasonably well.

The QNAS shares are mounted with NFS.
    The windows share is mounted via SMB.

I then replicate my data out to my inexpensive NAS devices, two of them are on-site and one is off-site. I'm running CN-390 CoolMax devices which use Embedded linux.

The challenge is these are "stupid" devices and I can't install rsync to them....so I'm using them via SMB shares mounted in Fstab.

The problem I'm having is that when rsync runs on Tuxback it is copying from /backup to /linux/NAS1 (where NAS1 is mounted).

It sees this as "local" and disables partial file transfer and starts copying all of the data all over again.

I've read the manpage and I've googled for ideas.

The command being run is:
    rsync -rDltzv --delete /backup /linux/nas1

What am I doing wrong?

Btw, this started out as an inexpensive alternative to off-site storage and was based on a "cluster" of 1 TB Atom-based Ubuntu Servers..... After about a year I decided to downgrade to NAS because it's a responsible way to manage power, the NAS's are small, inexpensive, and my remote user can understand "is the light flashing? press the button to turn it off, press it again to turn it on"

The new devices are about $150 USD for the device and a 2 TB HDD and pull under 50 watts.

The result is that I have a RAID config on my servers that protects against HW outages.

The replica on Tuxback protects against the delete key which is the most common reason you need a backup.

The replica on NAS1 and NAS2 (warehouse and backoffice) protect against flood/fire/theft. As a NAS is very tiny it's unlikely to be stolen assuming they even spotted it.

The offsite replica protects against Acts of Religious Diety (Flood Tornado Hurricane Visit from Angry Celestial Being)

The end result is under $1000 which is affordable for my small business.

I chose rsync because I could get it going *now* and manage it.... I'd like to upgrade to Zmanda, but that's a tall rosebush to climb and I haven't had time to sit down and get my head around it.

Rsync should be able to copy only the changes but it doesn't seem to be doing this.

Oh, I forgot to add, all of my machines are sync'd to the QNAS device which is sync'd to an external credible source.

And the NAS devices have the second option of FTP for access, but I chose SMB as it seemed simpler and I don't recall if rsync works with ftp.... of course being linux rsync could probably be made to work with the kitchen sink with the right script.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Rsync over SMB share syncing all files

I'd add a "--modify-window=3605" to better skip files where the times and sizes don't change. The 3600 (1 hour) is because daylight savings causes windows and some other SMB servers to misreport times by an hour. The extra 5 seconds is because SMB times are rounded. Without at least a few seconds window it would always recopy most files when the source or destination is a windows/smb server.

Partial-file updates aren't going to be possible without rsync running on both the client and server. Though there is "Duplicity" which I've never used that can do partial file backups to a dumb remote server. The destination server won't have a mirror of the data but rather a series of encrypted daily rdiff patches that when merged together would equal the current data.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for the suggestion and explanation about the --modify-window option.

I tried that and got a new error...
    root@tuxback:/# rsync -rDltzv --delete --modify-window=3065 /backup //nasw/backup
    sending incremental file list
    rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4 bytes to socket [sender]: Broken pipe (32)
    rsync: mkdir "//nasw/backup" failed: No such file or directory (2)
    rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at main.c(595) [Receiver=3.0.7]
    rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (9 bytes received so far) [sender]
    rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(601) [sender=3.0.7]

Not sure what the issue is..... but it isn't related to the option.

root@tuxback:/# cd /linux/nasw
    root@tuxback:/linux/nasw# ls
    backup
    root@tuxback:/linux/nasw#

the directory exists..... and it's accessibleroot@tuxback:/linux/nasw/backup# ls
    accounting asterisk-etc asterisk-usr bizfiles chron graphics marshafiles software ups
    archive asterisk-spool asterisk-var brianfiles database-backups kevinfiles robertfiles tscfiles webdata
    root@tuxback:/linux/nasw/backup#

And I can write/delete there:

root@tuxback:/linux/nasw/backup# touch stupid
    root@tuxback:/linux/nasw/backup# ls
    accounting asterisk-etc asterisk-usr bizfiles chron graphics marshafiles software tscfiles webdata
    archive asterisk-spool asterisk-var brianfiles database-backups kevinfiles robertfiles stupid ups
    root@tuxback:/linux/nasw/backup# rm stupid
    root@tuxback:/linux/nasw/backup#

hmmm, this worked the other day.... [pull hair] grrr [/pull hair]

Have I done something wrong in mounting?
    //nasw/backup on /linux/nasw type cifs (rw,mand)
    //nas1/backup on /linux/nas1 type cifs (rw,mand)
    //oms/webdata on /windows/oms/webdata type cifs (rw,mand)
    //nas2/backup on /linux/nas2 type cifs (rw,mand)

Relevant portion of fstab

#nas boxes
    //nas1/backup /linux/nas1 smbfs credentials=/home/brian/.nascredentials
    //nas2/backup /linux/nas2 smbfs credentials=/home/brian/.nascredentials
    //nasw/backup /linux/nasw smbfs credentials=/home/brian/.nascredentials

Beans
    Distro

What baffles me is that I have permissions, I can manually access it, but rsync fails hard.....

rysnc vvvvv :
    rsync -rDltzvvv --delete /backup //nasw/backup/

tail end of the output
    [sender] make_file(backup/accounting/Accounting/AP/2010/Terms Vendors/Broder/Oct10/06Oct10.pdf,*,2)
    [sender] make_file(backup/accounting/Accounting/AP/2010/Terms Vendors/Broder/Oct10/14Oct10.pdf,*,2)
    [sender] make_file(backup/accounting/Accounting/AP/2010/Terms Vendors/Broder/Oct10/20Oct10.pdf,*,2)
    [sender] make_file(backup/accounting/Accounting/AP/2010/Terms Vendors/Broder/Oct10/28Oct10.pdf,*,2)
    server_recv(2) starting pid=3621
    received 1 names
    recv_file_list done
    received 19 names
    recv_file_list done
    get_local_name count=20 //nasw/backup/
    rsync: mkdir "//nasw/backup" failed: No such file or directory (2)
    rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at main.c(595) [Receiver=3.0.7]
    [Receiver] _exit_cleanup(code=11, file=main.c, line=595): about to call exit(11)
    rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (9 bytes received so far) [sender]
    rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(601) [sender=3.0.7]
    [sender] _exit_cleanup(code=12, file=io.c, line=601): about to call exit(12)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Shouldn't it be /linux/nasw/ not //nasw/backup/ ?

Beans
    Distro

There are some days I feel like a cat in a 4 dog fight. Yes, I was attempting to "solve" this problem by using UNC style shares.... two days ago when I last looked at the issue. I guess I didn't undo my "fix" and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why it wasn't working.... of course I was trying to have a "quick" look at it over my lunch in between the typical daily fires that I deal with.... Nothing like the call from the customer in the lobby who forgot to tell you they needed something at 11am instead of 5pm that day.

Beans
    Distro

I always say that we are trying to protect ourselves from the delete key..... and the "last command" function.

So now that I've corrected that issue.....

root@tuxback:/linux# rsync -rDltzvv --delete --modify-window=3605 /backup /linux/nasw
    sending incremental file list
    delta-transmission disabled for local transfer or --whole-file
    backup/
    backup/accounting/
    backup/accounting/Accounting/
    deleting backup/accounting/Accounting/.TFI condensed15 Jan 05.QBB.5dYBgs
    backup/accounting/Accounting/PPThumbs.ptn
    backup/accounting/Accounting/TFI condensed15 Jan 05.QBB

Notice it's trying to copy this file ... that is dated Jan 05, which hasn't changed since then.

I turned up the vvv and resubmitted it.....

[generator] make_file(backup/accounting/Accounting/.TFI condensed15 Jan 05.QBB.caTr3T,*,2)
    delete_item(backup/accounting/Accounting/.TFI condensed15 Jan 05.QBB.caTr3T) mode=100755 flags=2
    deleting backup/accounting/Accounting/.TFI condensed15 Jan 05.QBB.caTr3T
    recv_generator(backup/accounting/Accounting/PPThumbs.ptn,30)
    send_files(30, //backup/accounting/Accounting/PPThumbs.ptn)
    send_files mapped //backup/accounting/Accounting/PPThumbs.ptn of size 9922

I don't understand the internals of rsync... but it looks to me like the program is deleting the file and then sending it....

a little further up there is something that makes me wonder if time is not being set properly

set modtime of backup/accounting/Accounting to (1288761029) Wed Nov 3 00:10:29 2010
    delete_in_dir(backup/accounting/Accounting)

Here is the offending file:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 9922 2010-11-12 13:03 PPThumbs.ptn
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 112775103 2010-11-12 13:04 TFI condensed15 Jan 05.QBB
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 15360 2010-11-12 13:04 Thumbs.db

Here is the output on a re-run:

[generator] make_file(backup/accounting/Accounting/.TFI condensed15 Jan 05.QBB.vnhQhT,*,2)
    delete_item(backup/accounting/Accounting/.TFI condensed15 Jan 05.QBB.vnhQhT) mode=100755 flags=2
    deleting backup/accounting/Accounting/.TFI condensed15 Jan 05.QBB.vnhQhT
    recv_generator(backup/accounting/Accounting/PPThumbs.ptn,30)
    send_files(30, //backup/accounting/Accounting/PPThumbs.ptn)
    send_files mapped //backup/accounting/Accounting/PPThumbs.ptn of size 9922
    calling match_sums //backup/accounting/Accounting/PPThumbs.ptn
    backup/accounting/Accounting/PPThumbs.ptn
    sending file_sum
    false_alarms=0 hash_hits=0 matches=0
    sender finished //backup/accounting/Accounting/PPThumbs.ptn
    recv_generator(backup/accounting/Accounting/TFI condensed15 Jan 05.QBB,31)
    send_files(31, //backup/accounting/Accounting/TFI condensed15 Jan 05.QBB)
    send_files mapped //backup/accounting/Accounting/TFI condensed15 Jan 05.QBB of size 112775103
    calling match_sums //backup/accounting/Accounting/TFI condensed15 Jan 05.QBB
    backup/accounting/Accounting/TFI condensed15 Jan 05.QBB

Am I reading the output wrong or is it retransmitting the file each time?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The "delete_item(backup/accounting/Accounting/.TFI condensed15 Jan 05.QBB.caTr3T)" looks like it's deleting a partial file a previous aborted transfer. Rather than directly overwriting existing files, rsync copies to a new file, then renames it over the old file when its done, to prevent it from corrupting existing files if the connection is lost mid-transfer.

You've verified that "TFI condensed15 Jan 05.QBB" has the same size and date on both sides?

Beans
    Distro

There is definately a time sync issue living here....

total 110180
    drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 2010-11-12 19:14 AP
    drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 2010-11-12 19:14 AR - 4 years
    drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 2010-11-12 19:14 Bank and Card Statements - 5 years
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 23040 2010-11-12 13:04 credit references.doc
    drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 2010-11-12 19:14 Customer Files
    drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 2010-11-12 19:14 Financials
    drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 2010-11-12 19:14 Fixed Assets
    drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 2010-11-12 19:14 Marsha
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 77 2010-11-12 13:04 maxdesk.ini
    drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 2010-11-12 19:14 POs
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 9922 2010-11-12 13:03 PPThumbs.ptn
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 112775103 2010-11-12 13:04 TFI condensed15 Jan 05.QBB
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 15360 2010-11-12 13:04 Thumbs.db
    root@tuxback:/linux/nasw/backup/accounting/Accounting# cd /backup/accounting/Accounting/
    root@tuxback:/backup/accounting/Accounting# ls -l
    total 110332
    drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 2010-11-03 00:21 AP
    drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 2010-11-03 00:10 AR - 4 years
    drwxr-xr-x 17 root root 4096 2010-11-03 00:14 Bank and Card Statements - 5 years
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 23040 2008-06-03 10:26 credit references.doc
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 2010-11-03 00:09 Customer Files
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2010-11-03 00:10 Financials
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2010-11-03 00:08 Fixed Assets
    drwxr-xr-x 9 root root 4096 2010-11-03 00:08 Marsha
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 77 2009-09-04 16:32 maxdesk.ini
    drwxr-xr-x 14 root root 4096 2010-11-03 00:10 POs
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 9922 2008-05-21 15:37 PPThumbs.ptn
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 112775103 2005-01-19 21:22 TFI condensed15 Jan 05.QBB
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 15360 2007-06-05 15:14 Thumbs.db

This is immediately after the sync. Appears that my NAS devices are using the present time..... and my server is using the original file date.....

Do I have an option wrong in this command?
    rsync -rDltzvvv --delete --modify-window=3605 /backup /linux/nasw

Beans
    Distro

Well, I decided to try the --size-only option and that does work.... so now it's just a matter of trying to determine why the CN-390 devices from coolmax won't allow the time to be set.

Of course the better option would be NFS and an Rsync server......

Granted it's an ARM processor and embedded linux... but it should be capable.

Anyhow, are there any other options I should consider besides --size-only?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast