Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphics get all crazy 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Graphics get all crazy 10.04

hi everyone I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 on my Gateway netbook and everything seemed to be fine until my graphics went crazy. at first i thought google chrome was the problem but it continued while saving a document and browsing the ubuntu forum using firefox. here are images to help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by alexpwnsn00b2; May 7th, 2010 at 05:06 AM.

Beans

Re: Graphics get all crazy 10.04

That is crazy. I'm not sure what's causing that, but how hot does the netbook feel? It could be that the graphics chip overheated. Try switching to a different workspace to see if it forces the display to update. If that fails, press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to go to a tty, log in, and use:
    Code:
    sudo restart gdm
    NOTE: This will restart Gnome and you will lose any unsaved documents.

Beans

What graphics card are you using?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

You could also be having a graphics card driver issue. Try using the hardware drivers tool, and updating the machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

here are my computers specifications. the Netbook doesn't feel like its over heating and I also used the update manager to make sure i wasn't missing a bug fix. When i use vista everything seems fine and thanks for the tip WorMzy that should come in handy its kinda tricky using memory to find the areas to click when the graphics get all cracked out.

Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 L110 Single-Core Processor (1.2GHz, 800MHz FSB, 512KB L2 Cache)

Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic (32-bit) with SP1

Display: 11.6” HD WXGA Ultrabrigh LED-backlit Display (1366×768 resolution, 16:9 aspect ratio)

Video: ATI Radeon X1270 graphics with 256MB HyperMemory

Memory: 2048MB DDR2 533MHz SDRAM Single Channel Memory

Hard Drive: 250GB SATA hard drive

Wireless Network: 802.11b/g Wi-Fi

Battery: 6-Cell Lithium Ion

Chassis: Chassis with ATI Radeon X1270 Graphics and AMD RS690E Chipset8
    External Ports: (3) USB 2.0, VGA Connector

Keyboard and Mouse: Keyboard with Multi-Gesture Touchpad

Media Card Reader: Multi-in-1 Digital Media Card Reader (Memory Stick®, Memory Stick Pro™, MultiMediaCard, Secure Digital™, xD-Picture Card™)

Network: 10/100 Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)

Beans

I myself have a toned down version of the same problem. On 10.04, I get random horizontal lines shooting through the screen. Nothing to the OP's degree however.

The only similarity between out systems is the X1270, so I assume that is what is causing the problem. Is 10.04 more graphically demanding then 9.10?

I looked around on ATI's site for any new drivers, but apparently they consider it legacy, and as such they do not provide drivers for it. Is there perhaps an OSS alternative?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

sadly you are not alone with this problem: i've had no issue for months, yesterday have packages have been updated and today no way to boot, even in recovery mode startx fail. but try:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg-core
    sudo dpkg --configure -a

i'm posting from karmic now

Beans

I have the same issue and reported it since 10.04b1. It seems to be an issue with the OSS Radeon driver...you can go to the radeonHD driver but any emu will and games are super slow...

I think we need to report it to the maintainer of the OSS radeon driver....

Went back to 9.10 for now....love 10.04 on my desktop though!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

well at least i'm not alone.

I've noticed that the screen only freaks out when i'm on sties like myspace or using google chrome. idk if they use more graphics or something.

I've also tried to switch screens to see if it forces my graphics to fix but that doesn't work at all. It sucks i really like Ubuntu 10.04 and i don't want to install the previous version.

Beans

just wanted to chime in, I picked up a netbook today and I'm having the same issue.
    so far the changing of workspaces is a good temp fix.
    but if anyone comes up with something permanent I'm all ears.

everything else is running great I'm new to linux (10.04 is my first) and I'm already a total convert.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast