Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphics get all crazy 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Graphics get all crazy 10.04

Quote Originally Posted by LOCKPICK View Post
    just wanted to chime in, I picked up a netbook today and I'm having the same issue.
    so far the changing of workspaces is a good temp fix.
    but if anyone comes up with something permanent I'm all ears.

everything else is running great I'm new to linux (10.04 is my first) and I'm already a total convert.
    what type of netbook did you get? Are any of the specifications the same as my netbook?

Beans

sorry ..... same same .... Gateway LT3112H

Beans

I posted to the mailing list for xorg. They are trying some bug fixes and hopefully they will have a final fix and update the radeon driver soon. It seems to be an issue with KMS which is new in the kernel. This is more then just a Ubuntu issue. Stick with 9.10 for the time being.

Beans

Im just curious if this issue has been resolved. Im running 10.04 on a Gateway LT3103u it contains the same ATI Radeon graphics card and is doing the exact same as the OP's.

Any help or advice would be awesome. As this issue is becoming quite annoying.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm no expert so treat the following with caution...

I had my display(s) go bananas similarly and I'm using an old-skool ATI card.

What worked for me was adding the line
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset"
    to this file
    Code:
    /etc/default/grub
    YMMV

Edit: you must run
    Code:
    sudo update grub
    after editing your grub file
    Last edited by bluelamp999; May 18th, 2010 at 07:21 PM.
    The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

Beans

I have a gateway LT3103u with a x1270 graphic chip. I may have found a fix. Mint 9 is my OS. I had the same graphic issues as the others have discussed in this thread and others. I tried reinstalling twice. The problem persisted. In those three attempts when would select recovery mode (Failsafe X Session)on boot screen, the OS would boot to the maximum resolution 1366x768 (weird) not the scaled down 1024x768 resolution. I then did another reinstall. After the reinstall, I booted to recovery first. Inserted the <GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset"> in the grub config file as other in this thread suggested. Issued the grub update command then rebooted. I selected normal OS selection. I then open programs to try to see if the glitch would occur. It didn't. I rebooted to recovery mode(Failsafe X Session) and the typical 1024x768 resolution was now present. No issues in the last two days I hope the glicth does come back. Also I have been install and update my system in the failsafe X session of recovery mode.

Beans

Same problem here with the same hardware.

Any update on the issue?

Beans

i have much the same issue with my instal of 10.04 amd64. im not sure what my servers hardware is but.....

if i start up lets say Tetris, or gnometris or w/e then the screen kicks to that funky screen covering pattern once i exit the game. seems to happen with any seemingly accelerated graphics program.

i was able to get back to a usable screen by pressing ctrl+alt+f1 to a virtual console and then back to ctrl+alt+f7 to a GUI desktop.

that seems to temporarily rectify the graphics bug. im guessing its a driver issue or some sort.

any thoughts? i am not sure where to start.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 5ampl3 View Post
    i have much the same issue with my instal of 10.04 amd64. im not sure what my servers hardware is but.....

if i start up lets say Tetris, or gnometris or w/e then the screen kicks to that funky screen covering pattern once i exit the game. seems to happen with any seemingly accelerated graphics program.

i was able to get back to a usable screen by pressing ctrl+alt+f1 to a virtual console and then back to ctrl+alt+f7 to a GUI desktop.

that seems to temporarily rectify the graphics bug. im guessing its a driver issue or some sort.

any thoughts? i am not sure where to start.
    I enabled the Radeon HD drivers on my Gateway netbook with 10.04 and I have been running it for 2 days without a problem with graphics. It has even been suspended during this time without issue. I believe that the HD drivers (available via Synaptic) do not allow for 3d, but I am not sure about this as I do not use any 3d apps on the machine. I use the standard desktop, which is ok as long as there is no corruption with it.

Hope that helps.

Beans

I also have a LT3108h Gateway Netbook and since installing 10.04 Netbook Remix, I am having the very same graphics corruption as in the OP screenshots.

I did not have this problem with 9.10, but I did have a problem with my wireless networking which is why I upgraded ASAP to 10.04, which fixed the networking problem but introduced the display corruption.

I will keep looking for a solution and post any findings. Thanks.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast