Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Graphics get all crazy 10.04

Beans

Re: Graphics get all crazy 10.04

Same problem in 10.10

Beans

funny thing is i have the exact same things happen on screen but i have a desktop pc with nvidia geforce 8300 onboard graphics

i had the exact same thing happen to screen in win 7 and i kno0w that was nvidias new drivers

i have spent weeks working on this and other errors caused by the drivers for onboard nvidia win 7 drivers even killed one of my ram sticks as the ram controllers well all the controllers are actually nvidia driven

the difference with my screen doing the mad lines is the fact m,y system locks up at the same time and i mean totally locked up

i have tried the grub fix as mentioned and am about 25 mins into the reboot but i never get any problems untill i play either flash games online or any other graphics heavy activity

any updates on whats happening with these problems??

Beans

The reason for the glitches is that the ati kms doesn't implement sideport memory very well. I was using nomodeset for sometime as a work around and it seemed to be doing the trick, but it wasn't perfect and I still had issues.

Eventually I stumbled onto a modified bios in the notebook review forums that solved pretty much every issue I ever had.

This bios adds a bunch of options that were previously hidden, and allowed me to shut the side port memory off and switch to uma. This solved the problem. No more graphics glitches. No more entering kernel parameters to boot properly.

I highly recommend installing this bios for the many added benefits.
    -AHCI (Faster HD speed + hackintosh support)
    -VT (Speeds up virtual machines)
    -DDST (so the cpu throttles properly in linux)
    -Video voltage and clocking options (for those that want to OC the graphics)
    -And many more . ( I haven't played with them all yet )

Just google "Gateway LT31xx_MOD.rar" and you will find it.
    Use at your own risk.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cubicsilver View Post
    The reason for the glitches is that the ati kms doesn't implement sideport memory very well. I was using nomodeset for sometime as a work around and it seemed to be doing the trick, but it wasn't perfect and I still had issues.

Eventually I stumbled onto a modified bios in the notebook review forums that solved pretty much every issue I ever had.

This bios adds a bunch of options that were previously hidden, and allowed me to shut the side port memory off and switch to uma. This solved the problem. No more graphics glitches. No more entering kernel parameters to boot properly.

I highly recommend installing this bios for the many added benefits.
    -AHCI (Faster HD speed + hackintosh support)
    -VT (Speeds up virtual machines)
    -DDST (so the cpu throttles properly in linux)
    -Video voltage and clocking options (for those that want to OC the graphics)
    -And many more . ( I haven't played with them all yet )

Just google "Gateway LT31xx_MOD.rar" and you will find it.
    Use at your own risk.
    Cubicsilver, may I say that you have provided me with the solution I have desperately been looking for! This worked perfectly on my DOT M/A (same as Gateway LT31xx), and has allowed scaling and finished sorting the graphics bug. As an additional bonus, it lets me set the amount of shared RAM with GPU, so now I give the GPU only 128mb, leaving more to the system.

Absolutely brilliant!!! Thanks!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Just wanted to keep this thread alive in order to get a fix from the distro.
    Any updates on launchpad?
    Laptop - Lenovo-IdeaPad-S340-15IWL,i3-8145U CPU @ 2.10GHz, 8GB DDR4, 256GB SSD , 20.04 Linux Mint
    Desktop - Lenovo ThinkCentre M81 Intel Core i7--2600 3.8GHz, 8GB DDR3 Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, 16.04 64bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lsutiger View Post
    Just wanted to keep this thread alive in order to get a fix from the distro.
    Any updates on launchpad?
    I am using an IBM R51 with a Mobility Radeon 7500. I turned off KMS for a while but couldn't stand the slow graphics. Here is what I ended up doing:

added a file /etc/modprobe.d/radeon.conf
    added the following option:

'Option "EXAVSync" "on"'

went to the modprobe.d dir and used sudo nano radeon.conf to do this.

I picked this tweak from the list of options on man radeon.

Using radeon.conf was an educated guess. the ATI ubuntu site listed 'options radeon modeset=0' line in the radeon.conf file as an opt method of turning off KMS. The options weren't working in xorg.conf but for some reason they work in radeon.conf.

There are other options to eliminate tearing listed in man radeon. This worked for my build but you may be able to tweak for yours.

cheers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The only thing I have done in 10.04 to fix the problem is turn off all visual effects.

In 11.04 to fix the problem is using classic GNOME or using 2D Unity

I need my netbook for school so I don't have time to mess around too much with it

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456