Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pitivi won't encode to h.264 MP4. . .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Question Pitivi won't encode to h.264 MP4. . .

Hi. I've been trying to re-encode some videos from various formats to h.264, AAC, MP4 files with PiTiVi. This worked perfectly until I upgraded to 10.04, this system has been upgraded all the way up from 6.10. I have the good, bad, and ugly sets of gstreamer plugins installed, and all the stuff from ubuntu-restricted-extras. The encoding status windows appears, and it says "Rendering" in the status bar, but it never advances, and there is no additional CPU usage. I've reinstalled all these plugins, Pitivi, and used other versions of PiTiVi, older and newer, compiled from source. I've tried converting from ogg, avi, etc, to no avail. I've tried the FFmpeg and FLV muxers as well, x264enc is definitely the problem. . .

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I've tried LIVES and Avidemux too, neither worked. However, the Arista Transcoder works, but it doesn't give me enough control over the conversion. . .
    If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway. . .
    I like Unity.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Pitivi won't encode to h.264 MP4. . .

There's a set of packages whose names start with "libav" and end in the word "extra" and a number. These give restricted format support to FFMPEG and will be used by Pitivi and most video editors and transcoders.

There's "libavcodec", "libavformat", "libavdevice" and others, but if you just search for "libav" you'll find them. Remember you need the packages with the word "extra" in their names.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro

Installed libav*-extra-52 packages, but it still stalls with none of the video rendered. No error anywhere. . . I booted up a live USB, installed the restricted extras, and couldn't encode the video with that either, so it must be a bug somewhere. I've read that the fluendo plugins cause issues, but I don't have any installed. . .

Anything else I can do?
    Last edited by pi.boy.travis; May 10th, 2010 at 04:19 AM. Reason: typo
    I like Unity.

Beans
    Distro

I like Unity.

Beans

Same issue with my pitivi, but also with KDEnlive which both make use of ffmpeg which also cannot encode h.264 since 10.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

the ffmpeg version that comes with ubuntu is stripped down due to licensing restrictions
    if you compile it from source then it should work
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=786095

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by nikhilbhardwaj View Post
    the ffmpeg version that comes with ubuntu is stripped down due to licensing restrictions
    if you compile it from source then it should work
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=786095
    I'd try the Medibuntu packages before getting into compiling an important part of the system.

Beans
    Distro

Installed the Medibuntu codecs, still no good. I'd rather not compile from source, as it makes it difficult to remove later. Maybe I'll try packaging it later. Anything else I can do?
    I like Unity.

Beans
    Distro

It's definitive, Ubuntu 10.04 can't encode h.264. I've tried it on six computers now, all of them could do it in 9.10. Compiling is all I haven't tried. I hope this has nothing to do with Canonical licensing h.264 for OEMs. . .

If anyone finds another way to get it working, so share.
    I like Unity.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just as a confirmation I'd like to state that I installed everything from the repositories rather than compiling myself and found that when running 'ffmpeg -formats' from the command line, it said that it couldn't Encode in the h.264, only decode.
    I don't remember if it was this way for older versions of ubuntu, but I believe it wasn't. Any solutions that don't include compiling the package with different configurations?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast