Thread: Safari 5 works great with WINE in Ubuntu 10.04

Safari 5 works great with WINE in Ubuntu 10.04

In case anyone want to know:

Safari 5 (Windows edition) works great with WINE in Ubuntu 10.04 (32-bit, I don't know about 64-bit). My WINE installation also has .NET 1.1, but I don't think Safari relies on it. I haven't tried streaming media or Flash, just the essential browser capabilities. It is smoooooth.

Why? I have some XML with XSL files created in Windows, and it seems that Firefox does not interpret them as desired (this is a known feature, or bug, in Firefox on any platform). But Safari does it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Safari 5 works great with WINE in Ubuntu 10.04

That's great!

Please post the correct forum area
    Other Community Discussions > Wine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I don't get the point of running a browser in an operating system it isn't designed.
    You can follow me at my blog.

Quote Originally Posted by techunit View Post
    I don't get the point of running a browser in an operating system it isn't designed.
    Indeed. However, I have some XML/XSL files that cannot be interpreted correctly by Firefox. This is a known problem with Firefox (any platform). Internet Explorer and Safari can read them properly. Using IE under WINE is a nuisance, if I wish to read the files when I'm using Ubuntu. Safari works much better. I assume the reason is that Safari avoids relying on the Windows operating system as much as possible.