Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Xilinx ISE WebPack 12.2 on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Beans

Re: Xilinx ISE WebPack 12.2 on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Hello,

Thank you for the tutorial. I have followed the steps and have everything almost running. My problem is that after Platform Studio successfully launches it does not recognize the license file. I have a 30 day system edition evaluation license and ISE recognizes it without problems. My computer is Asus A6jc and I have 32 bit Ubuntu 10.04. After reading Martin's post about SDK, being not able to verify license, I tried to install ia32-libs but Ubuntu refused to do so saying that I already have a 32 bit edition.

Can you please guide me about this problem

thanks a lot
    rifo

Beans

In case you want to check the license, I paste it below

# ----- REMOVE LINES ABOVE HERE --------------------------
    #
    # This license is valid from Tue Nov 16 05:23:02 GMT+00:00 2010.
    #
    # This is license NODELOCKED to HOSTID=
    # there is no need to run lmgrd for this license.
    #
    #
    # This license is valid for evaluation ( 30 days ) from Tue Nov 16 05:23:02 GMT+00:00 2010
    INCREMENT System_Edition xilinxd 2011.11 17-dec-2010 uncounted \
    7E89045BF499D \
    VENDOR_STRING= ,System_Edition,software,evaluation,_174912227_0_0 _426 \
    HOSTID=0016cb945f578 ISSUER="Xilinx Inc" START=16-Nov-2010 \
    TS_OK
    #
    #
    # ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    # The following PACKAGE definition is a REQUIRED part of this license:
    #
    PACKAGE System_Edition xilinxd 2011.11 E30D3F228C8F COMPONENTS="SDK \
    ChipScopePro_SIOTK ChipscopePro ISE ISIM PlanAhead SysGen XPS" \
    OPTIONS=SUITE
    #
    # ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    #
    # ----- REMOVE LINES BELOW HERE --------------------------

Beans

Hello again,

I have solved the problem. It's my mistake (again ) The thing is, I had downloaded ISE Webpack on another machine a couple of months ago. When I iniated the license generation process for the system edition evaluation version, Xilinx automatically automatically created the license for the MAC address of my old machine (where I downloaded ISE webpack)

I could have figured it out earlier but the thing is that when I launched ise the first time, it complained about not finding a suitable license and this complaints went away when I showed it the wrongly configured (in terms of MAC address) license.
    y.sreekanth's post about generating a bitstream made me realize the problem.

So the morale of the story is, double check the MAC address of your license if you have downloaded different Xilinx products from different machines.

One more important thing is, while looking for the license issue, I had came across this problem in launching planahead from ISE, the link below seemed to fix the problem

http://www.c3a.de/wiki/index.php/ISE_Webpack_Ubuntu

sudo apt-get install portmap

• portmap
      • to fix the Wind/U Error (248): Failed to connect to the registry on server foobar - Cannot register service: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection refused error (will work without but needs more time to start)

thank you all for your time
    best regards
    rifo

Beans

Fantastic post, Stube! Many thanks.

I followed your directions, with slight modifications, for LabTools 12.3 on Ubuntu 10.04. When I connect the Platform Cable USB the LED lights. However, when I run "Cable Auto Connect" from iMPACT I get the following warnings and auto-connect fails:

"WARNING:iMPACT - Module windrvr6 is not loaded. Please reinstall the cable drivers. See Answer Record 22648."

I found that I COULD connect to the USB cable by going to "Cable Setup..." and selecting Platform Cable USB/II. So, I conclude that the warnings are caused by iMPACT still looking for windrvr6 to run the parallel cables during auto-detect.

I had good success installing and using Michael Gernoth's windrvr6 to libusb/ppdev wrapper that you alluded to in your post (see http://groups.google.com/group/comp....49e5b6028e2c70). I installed the driver files at /opt/Xilinx/usb-driver and used the following export commands to get iMPACT to use the driver: export LD_PRELOAD=/opt/Xilinx/usb-driver/libusb-driver.so; export XIL_IMPACT_USE_LIBUSB=0.

I like the simplicity of your approach, using iMPACT's native libusb support. However, it's nice that with Gernoth's driver, both parallel and USB cable types are supported.

Thanks again,

Jake

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Nice to hear that more people are having positive experiences with the Xilinx tools!

"WARNING:iMPACT - Module windrvr6 is not loaded. Please reinstall the cable drivers. See Answer Record 22648."
    I get that same warning about windrvr6 at least when the USB cable is not connected. Intresting, that in your case auto connect fails where manual connection attempt is succesful... I included a logfile containing the messages printed by iMPACT when I have no cables connected to the computer. That might give you a clue, where the differences are.

I like the simplicity of your approach, using iMPACT's native libusb support. However, it's nice that with Gernoth's driver, both parallel and USB cable types are supported.
    Yes, I was trying to keep it as simple as possible because I myself find the windrvr6 wrapper quite confusing. Also, I do not have any way to test the parallel interface, so to me the most simple solution was also the best one.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Stube; November 24th, 2010 at 12:41 AM.

Beans

I just managed to get this working, I'm actually going back trying to retrace my many missteps and document it now.
    I'm using labtools from Xilinx ISE 12.3

The last trick was to edit the udev rules file and change all the uppercase $TEMPNODE to $tempnode,
    and I had to clear out all mention of XIL_IMPACT_USE_LIBUSB=n completely.

Found that tip on http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Installa...untu/m-p/57845

What a fiasco.

Here is what I have now working on Ubuntu 10.10 Kernel 2.6.35.22-generic
    downloaded Xilinx_Labtools_12.3_M.70d.1.0.tar
    unpacked it
    sudo su
    cd to /bin and:
    mv sh bad_sh
    ln -s ./bash sh
    cd to the unpacked DIR and ran ./xsetup as root
    fix the broken udev rules file:
    edit /etc/udev/rules.d/xusbdfwu.rules and change all instances of $TEMPNODE to $tempnode
    reboot
    before running any Xilinx software (impact for example) do this:
    source /opt/Xilinx/12.3/Labtools/settings32.sh
    I made an alias to run the settings file before running impact..

Hopefully I didn't leave anything out in the multiple missteps I took to get to a working state.
    Last edited by gordwait; November 24th, 2010 at 11:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hello all,
    I applied most of the solutions given in the thread without no avail. The error I'm getting is:

Code:
    // *** BATCH CMD : setMode -bs
    // *** BATCH CMD : setMode -bs
    GUI --- Auto connect to cable...
    // *** BATCH CMD : setCable -port auto
    AutoDetecting cable. Please wait.
    PROGRESS_START - Starting Operation.
     OS platform = i686.
    Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - parport0).
     Linux release = 2.6.35-23-generic.
    WARNING:iMPACT -  Module windrvr6 is not loaded. Please reinstall the cable drivers. See Answer Record 22648.
    Cable connection failed.
     OS platform = i686.
    Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - parport1).
    WARNING:iMPACT -  Module windrvr6 is not loaded. Please reinstall the cable drivers. See Answer Record 22648.
    Cable connection failed.
     OS platform = i686.
    Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - parport2).
    Cable connection failed.
     OS platform = i686.
    Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - parport3).
    Cable connection failed.
     OS platform = i686.
    Connecting to cable (Usb Port - USB21).
    Checking cable driver.
    Cable connection failed.
     OS platform = i686.
    Connecting to cable (Usb Port - USB22).
    Checking cable driver.
    Cable connection failed.
     OS platform = i686.
    Connecting to cable (Usb Port - USB23).
    Checking cable driver.
    Cable connection failed.
     OS platform = i686.
    Connecting to cable (Usb Port - USB24).
    Checking cable driver.
    Cable connection failed.
    PROGRESS_END - End Operation.
    Elapsed time =      0 sec.
    Cable autodetection failed.
    WARNING:iMPACT:923 - Can not find cable, check cable setup !
    I'm very helpless at this and need to get this working somehow, so can anyone please help?

Beans

This worked beautifully ..... thanks a lot...

Beans

I want to thank Stube for all the help in installing ISD Webpack on my home (32 bit Ubuntu 10.10) machine. Your suggestions worked perfectly and I was able to program an S3E Demo Board using verilog and blink a few lights with a counter. I was really happy lst night.

Unfortunately, when I did the same things to my work computer, also 32Bit Ubuntu 10.10, I was unable to program the board. This is admittedly a "different" S3E board, but both were brand new. Just in case, I will bring my other board to work tomorrow.

When I run Impact, I get a "Cable Notification: Impact: 923 - Cannot find cable. Check cable setup!" error.

The cable setup app seems to just hang when I try to switch to the USB mode. I looked in all the instances of fileset.txt and none contained the string "summary=Parallel Cable Drivers...". as suggested in the help file. Not sure why I needed Parallel .... anyway.

I re-installed ISE a second time and the error persists. I dopn't know where to go from here. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

John Battle

Beans

I accidentally left Impact running for a while and when I opened my terminal again I noticed several warnings on the screen:

[ ! ]
    Warning: Impact Module windrvr6 is not loaded. Please reinstall cable drivers. See answer record 22648 [OK]

Anybody know what that means? How do I install the cable drivers?

John Battle

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast