Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: "udevadm trigger is not permitted while udev is unconfigured."

Beans

Re: "udevadm trigger is not permitted while udev is unconfigured."

Hi,

I have the same problem,
    "Udevadm trigger is not permitted while udev is not configured"

I tried some of the methods explained in this thread, but my netbook doesn't have a disk drive, hence I can't use a liveCD. I tried booting from USB, but I get the same error.

I am open to a solution that will wipe all my data of this machine, as long as I can get back to using it!

Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RufusVS View Post
    It wasn't easy to find, but quite easy to do.

I was able to boot up into another version of the Linux kernel. If you don't have
    the option, you might need to boot off a Live CD. I'm not sure if you'll need
    extra steps with Live CD.

But all I had to do was type:

sudo update-initramfs -u -k 2.6.32-24-generic

(the 2.6.32-24-generic was my "problem kernel", do a:

ls /boot

to see what versions you have)

The idea is, there is a special ram-based file system used during the bootup
    process (ramfs) that is a special image attached to the kernel. If it's not
    created properly, this error occurs.

Let me know if this works for you!

Rufus
    Thanks RufusVS. Worked like a charm; you saved quite a bit of my hair!

Beans

I got this error today after accepting a bunch of updates to ubuntu 10.04.1 on my dell inspiron 1721 laptop. Let me summarize the full story for anyone else who may be trying to get ubuntu working on this machine.

Initial attempts to install ubuntu 10.04.1 using the live desktop CD failed with this error:

"Failed to create file system. The ext4 file system creation in partition #n of serial ATA RAID pdc_babiiij (stripe) failed."

I googled about and found the solution was to use the 10.04.1 alternate live CD, which would cope with the RAID setup. So I tried this and got to the GRUB boot loader stage before it failed again. After more googling and sifting I eventually found this thread, and ended up being able to boot ubuntu 10.04.1 on my inspiron 1721:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1574765

(Great work xenton. Huge thanks.)

Having managed to boot I then updated the system. After a post update reboot I then ran into the "udevadm trigger is not permitted while udev is unconfigured" error. Good grief. Quick beer and cigarette, more googling and sifting, and finally I found this thread. But the instructions did not work for me because of the my fakeraid setup. So, if you area also experiencing this problem on a fakeraid machine, here is what I did:

1. Follow the instructions in xenton's excellent tutorial (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1574765) up to the point where you run the "sudo chroot /mnt" command.
    2. Then follow steps 6, 7 & 8 from Audi200Q's summary (http://ubuntu-ky.ubuntuforums.org/sh...83&postcount=6) for each of your kernels.

I have waited a long time to get ubuntu onto this laptop (so long vista) and would never have gotten there on my own. Thanks all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

worked like a charm for me too. Mine is running 2.6.32-25. Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I just installed Lucid on a brand-new Toshiba Satellite C655 (lovely acpi problems...) and rebooted to the udevadm error. Searched, found this thread, followed all the instructions pertaining to LiveCDs. The kernels are 2.6.32-21-generic and 2.6.32-25-generic.

I got to the update steps and ran into problems. When doing "apt-get update" I get a bunch of error messages like this:
    Err http://us.archive.ubuntu.com lucid Release.gpg Something wicked happened resolving 'us.archive.ubuntu.com:http' (-5 - No address associated with hostname)
    When doing "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade", it says that it was unable to resolve host ubuntu, there are 4 not fully installed or removed, then some errors.
    "Can not write log, openpty() failed (/dev/pts not mounted?)"
    "dpkg: error processing grub-pc (--configure): subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 10"
    The last error is the same for samba-common. Then it mentions several dependency problems.

The latter two errors also come up if I try "dpkg --configure -a".

All around, it says that errors were encountered while processing: samba-common, smbclient, grub-pc, and samba-common-bin.

Then I try "sudo update-initramfs -u -k all". I get the same "unable to resolve host ubuntu" error, plus this error message for both kernels (32-21-generic and 32-25-generic):
    grep: /proc/modules: No such file or directory
    This is repeated three times for each kernel.

Sooooo.... now what?

Edit: I reinstalled the OS, since it was new anyway, and installed kernel 2.6.32-36, and presto!
    Last edited by Seamyst; October 27th, 2010 at 04:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

haven't been here in ages and don't really even like ubuntu myself, but a friend wanted to install it alongside his windows 7.

he had tried doing the wubi install himself the first time and got this error, udevadm trigger is not premitted while udev is unconfigured, also.

i have since retried uninstalling and reinstalling it twice now. both times, immediately after getting recommended updates, ubuntu becomes hosed! nothing new with that as that is half of why i quit using this bloated thing a long time ago. often wonder if they ever test this crap out before issuing updates?

anyway, way to many changes to have to go through for something that obviously wasn't properly tested and is such an issue as a search on any search engine finds.

have since talked friend into not wanting ubuntu on his system and to just stick with windows as they at least half way test their updates before hand.

sorry about the rant, but every time i've ever used ubuntu this is exactly what has happened (hosed) in a very short amount of time using it.

edit:
    just for the heck of it, i tried installing ubuntu using wubi on one of my systems. installed and all just fine, but within 5 minutes of being online, internet would just quit working. logout and back in would get it working again. for the heck of it, downloaded seamonkey. it continuosly crashes! went back into synaptic and suddenly have 115 repository places it checks for updates and i haven't changed a thing there. log out and back in again. go straight to update manager, get updates, and get this udevadm error on my machine!! what a pos!! like i said, no wonder i quit using this garbage!!

will stick with zenwalk, at least it works!! must make a mental not to NEVER try this POS distro again!!

in fact, can an admin delete my account so i won't be able to login to this slow a** forum also!! sheesh!!

good-bye!!
    Last edited by missmoondog; October 28th, 2010 at 07:06 PM. Reason: ubuntu is a POS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Worked for me, I have a separate /boot partition here's what I've done:

1. sudo mkdir /media/newroot/
    2. sudo mount / /media/newroot/
    3. cd /media/newroot/
    4. sudo mount /dev/sda1 boot
    5. sudo chroot /media/newroot/

Then proceed with the rest of the fix.

Thanks for all who's helping and building our wonderful community and distro.
    It's OK, everything we know will become obsolete at some time.

Beans
    Distro

Since I updated to the 2.6.32-36 kernel, an older kernel (32-25, I believe) still comes up in the Update Manager. If I go ahead and install it, does anyone know if my computer will (possibly) have this problem again, when I still boot into the newer kernel?

Or if that's not a good idea, is there any way to remove the older kernel from UM?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@Seamyst - Hey man LOCK the VERSION of your kernel!

System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager:

Type:

Code:
    linux-headers
    Highlight something like:

linux-headers-2.x.xx-x
    linux-headers-generic
    linux-headers

Code:
    linux-image

linux-image-2.x.xx-x
    linux-image-generic

Code:
    linux-server
    ^ If you're using a server.

Then Package > Lock Version. Now Update won't ask you for NEW INSTALL of kernels which you don't need in the mean time.

Let me know if this works.
    It's OK, everything we know will become obsolete at some time.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderDGreat View Post
    @Seamyst - Hey man LOCK the VERSION of your kernel!

System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager:

Type:

Code:
    linux-headers

linux-headers-2.x.xx-x
    linux-headers-generic
    linux-headers

(snip)

Then Package > Lock Version. Now Update won't ask you for NEW INSTALL of kernels which you don't need in the mean time.

Let me know if this works.
    When I searched for linux-headers, it came up with a crapload of headers - all of them like "linux-headers-2.6.32-21" and such. It also includes what I already have installed. So my next question is, do I follow your instructions for what is installed, or what isn't?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast