Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened to Unmount?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

What happened to Unmount?

Hi Guys, maybe it's too early in the morning or I have gone senile but what happened to the Unmount option when I right click on a Desktop CD icon in 10.04?
    I only wanted to make an ISO image and K3B says it cannot unmount the CD. I don't want to Eject it thank you. Ah! I have a clever idea! I will add Mount Manager to the panel. Mount Manager should be called Eject Manager because that is all it does!!
    Even Krusader seems to have lost its ability to unmount a device.
    What's going on?

Beans

Re: What happened to Unmount?

They removed it. It sucks. I miss it immensely. Now I'm forced to open Disk Utility to unmount anything. The right click link was much easier.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by inameiname View Post
    They removed it. It sucks. I miss it immensely. Now I'm forced to open Disk Utility to unmount anything. The right click link was much easier.
    "They" were the Nautilus developers:
    Code:
    * Mon Apr 26 2010 Tomas Bzatek <tbzatek@redhat.com> - 2.30.1-2
    - Do not show Unmount when showing Eject/Safe removal
    As of nautilus-2.30.1-2, the Unmount option was removed. You could always unmount it from a terminal command line if you really need to.
    If you want you can downgrade Nautilus to the previous version to regain that functionality:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?su...words=nautilus

You need to install the libgnome-desktop-2-11 package as well as the nautilus (1:2.28.1-0ubuntu3) & nautilus-data (1:2.28.1-0ubuntu3) packages.

No guarantees that doing this won't break other things in your system, but they seem to work in mine as a test.
    Last edited by dcstar; September 5th, 2010 at 12:38 PM.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans

Haha, yeah, Nautilus was the culprit. Nah, I don't think a downgrade would be best for me. Basically, it's either having the unmount or losing my Nautilus-Elementary...and for me, it's not at all a toss up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by inameiname View Post
    Haha, yeah, Nautilus was the culprit. Nah, I don't think a downgrade would be best for me. Basically, it's either having the unmount or losing my Nautilus-Elementary...and for me, it's not at all a toss up.
    Code:
    sudo umount /dev/sr0
    Remember hence where you come and pass it down.
    Ubuntu Forums member #899097 and Ubuntu Member:

Beans

If you want this option in lucid it's quite simple to rebuild the current lucid-updates nautilus version with the hide unmount patch disabled
    semi described here
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1563345

@ inameiname
    Took a look at the ppa for Nautilus-Elementary sources, the nautilus source used doesn't hide unmount and his debian folder has no patch set like ubuntu.

As it turns out the 'hide unmount' code is inside of his one big nautilus-elementary patch so it's quite doable, though you'd need to manually revert those changes after the patch is applied, then continue the build of the ppa source.

(a little complicated - but still could be done - don't know if it's worth the effort compared to the regular nautilus which, as mentioned, is quite simple.

Edit : not that hard, a widescreen monitor makes it easy to do. If inclined could try to explain if you get hung up

(will have to give ne a shot for a bit..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mc4man; September 6th, 2010 at 01:35 AM.

It is possible to make a desktop icon/command that will do the "unmount" function for you. Just save the command suggested by garvinrick4, as a shell-script in an executable file. Save that file in some good place ($HOME/bin is a good place). Then go the the Menu Editor and add this as a new command in the menu. Once you have that new menu item, you can also add the icon to your top-bar for quick access to unmount a specific device.

NOTE: It would be possible for some enterprising individual to write a shell-script that looked for all the mounts, then presented these as a list for unmounting. Adding that to the menu and it's icon to the top-bar would make a readily available universal unmounter tool.
    Last edited by arvevans; September 6th, 2010 at 02:28 AM. Reason: changed $PATH to $HOME
    POSIX

Beans

Yeah, I agree with arvervans, a desktop shortcut would be easiest.

Anyway, I appreciate your suggestion; I don't know if it'd be worth the effort either. Of course, if I really did want it, doing it with Nautilus-Elementary is FAR more worthwhile for me than using the plain old, ordinary Nautilus. I'd give up way too much if I were to do that. But thanks. Nice to know the culprit, and that it's possible. Maybe there will be an easier way down the road.

What would be nice as an alternative is perhaps a nautilus-action, that works not only for disc drives, but for usb and media card devices as well.
    Last edited by inameiname; September 8th, 2010 at 01:50 AM.

Beans

Just for fun, I decided to look into the nautilus-elementary code. This is how I get it (I hope this is correct):

STEP 1. Get source and install needed dependencies
    Get nautilus source
    apt-get source nautilus
    Install needed dependencies (these are needed for compiling)
    sudo apt-get build-dep nautilus

STEP 2. Edit Nautilus source
    nautilus-2.31.1/debian/patches/nautilus-elementary-2.30.1-rev91.patch
    (but not sure where it is)

STEP 3. Compile and install
    Move to nautilus source root (this dir contains configure file)
    cd..
    Then configure, compile, install
    ./configure --prefix=/usr
    make
    sudo make install

Thus, I seem to have the how-to just fine. It's the finding the exact line of code in nautilus-elementary's big update that confounds me. I know in the normal nautilus it's easy to find the right one, as it's number 16, but since nautilus-elementary just has one big patch, I don't know where inside it.

UPDATE:

Downloading the original 2.30.1 and nautilus-elementary's 2.31.1, I think I've found the same inputs of number 16 patch in the original nautilus that you can comment out for it to have the unmount, inside the nautilus-elementary big patch. Seems it starts at line 28164. Now, do I edit all of it out, or just portions? Not sure.
    Last edited by inameiname; September 8th, 2010 at 03:53 AM.

Beans

Here are those two files, the one from the original nautilus, and the other from nautilus-elementary. Maybe somebody could give me info on just what to comment out in the nautilus-elementary version. Might it be removing the "-" lines, which I'm guessing means they were removed? What about the "+" ones? There are two that I can remove the "+" sign in it. Would that do anything?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by inameiname; September 8th, 2010 at 02:49 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast