Thread: High System CPU Usage

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Ridiculously High System CPU Usage - Jerky computer

After upgrading to 10.10, my i7 Desktop has become quite slow.
    It appears that something in the kernel is using quite a bit of CPU. top shows between 30 and 40%sy, with no processes using over 3% individually, and only 3 or 4 processes using more than 1%.
    mpstat shows similar results under %sys (ie not under any interrupt handlers).
    As far as I can tell there is nothing in syslog or dmesg that could indicate a problem.

I'm not sure if it could be related, but my computer occasionally boots to only a screen saying "Nvidia Beta Driver" and never continues. As far as I can tell this screen always flashes when X initializes, but usually disappears. I have a feeling it is just the other issue eating all my CPU and preventing the Nvidia Driver from initializing.

Note that the 30-40% CPU makes animated images lag, audio stutter and often freeze while I type, causing the computer to miss several words.

Core i7-920 Overclocked to 4.0GHz
    Nvidia GTX 260
    10.10 Upgrade from 10.04 x86_64
    Last edited by Blue Matt0; October 10th, 2010 at 09:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: High System CPU Usage

if you still have the old kernel try uninstalling the new kernel and use the older one just to test if it's a kernel issue

Beans
    Distro

I do have one, but whenever I try to boot it, it never gets past the splash screen, so I guess the answer is no, I don't have an old kernel.

Beans
    Distro

Is there a program that might allow me to see which modules/parts of the kernel are using the most cpu, or is there really any way to go about debugging this at all?

Beans
    Distro

For the record, I still see this problem after removing the Nvidia drivers and rebooting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

There was someone who had an issue with an i7 in the RC which he resolved. But I did not reply to that post, so I do not know how to find it (a forum search for i7 comes up empty).

It did lead me to install htop which gives an ascii graphic representation of what your cores are doing. But I have had no issues with i5 650 3.2 GHz w/nvidia GT 220 video (10.10 beta from scratch upgraded to RC which after updates is probably current).

Beans
    Distro

This issue occurs on my system with the livecd, as well as after a full reinstall with the latest updates.
    Both with proprietary Nvidia Drivers and with them removed.

Intel Core i7 920 - Overclocked to 4 GHz
    EVGA X58 SLI LE
    Nvidia Gefore GTX 260 x2
    4x2GB DDR3 RAM
    Alfa Wireless-G (Realtek RTL 8187)
    USB Audio
    Last edited by Blue Matt0; October 12th, 2010 at 04:29 PM.

Beans

I'm having the same issue. 10.10 seems to be a lot slower than 10.04 and utilizes far more CPU.

i7 920
    nVidia GTS 240