Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blank Screen while Installing Ubuntu 10.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thumbs up Blank Screen while Installing Ubuntu 10.10

Hi,

I am having issues with Ubuntu 10.10 GA 64bits (maybe with 32bits as well), where the screen goes blank during the installation.

I set the nomodeset = true for the installation, and i can get passed the installation. However, I still get blank screen upon rebooting the pc (after the installation). I seem no way to ssh into the machine as sshd is not installed by default.

tried Crtl-Alt F2, doesn't bring back the screen as well. I know the system boots into the desktop environment, but I just can't see it on the screen.

Does anyone here know what's happening with the display?... I have Nvidia card, and I heard that this happens to ATI as well.

Cjeers.
    Last edited by jonikang; October 12th, 2010 at 10:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: Blank Screen while Installing Ubuntu 10.10

problem solved by setting the boot kernel to nomodeset and single param. and boot to text mode screen, then install the nvidia driver. It works very well now, and I can feel the speed of light! It's so fast...

Thanks again, although noone has replied my post. ^____^

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Blank Screen while Installing Ubuntu 10.10

I have the same problem. Did you have to save the nomodeset option to the kernel command line just so its available everytime it boots?

From my memory, I didn't have to do this in 10.04.

Secondly, which version of the nvidia drivers are you using? The ones from their website?

Please let me know.

Regards,
    Radha.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sradhakrishna View Post
    I have the same problem. Did you have to save the nomodeset option to the kernel command line just so its available everytime it boots?

From my memory, I didn't have to do this in 10.04.

Secondly, which version of the nvidia drivers are you using? The ones from their website?

Please let me know.

Regards,
    Radha.

I only set the param nomodeset once in the boot kernel, so I can go to the console mode. And then I install the nvidia driver using apt-get in the console. Once done, I reboot the machine and everything lines up nicely.

You can also try to "startx" while in the console, it should bring up the gnome desktop environment for you as well.

Cheers.

Beans

<hello I'm having the same problem here I select the nomodeset to install ubuntu but after its all installed I reboot the Pc and the log in screen is black and I cant do anything how do I put the nomode set on the kernel.
    Thank you very much

Beans

Well. I came to the right place for my problem, but these answers are too advanced for me to execute.

Take this response
    "problem solved by setting the boot kernel to nomodeset and single param. and boot to text mode screen, then install the nvidia driver"

I think I can set to nomodeset via the function keys during install.

Is that what you mean here??

and you said "and single param."

I have no idea what this means

"And then I install the nvidia driver using apt-get in the console"

Could someone tell me how to do that- in simple language a non unix expert can understand?

Thanks very much for your help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

dfolk, this is my point I made in another post, the average enduser cant do this, does not know what it means, will bin the CD.

Look at all the posts in this forum section, 99% of the fixes are beyond the knowledge of the average enduser, hence to them Ubuntu does not work. I am not trolling just frustrated that no one in a position of authority regarding Ubuntu seems to take this seriously and hasn't for years because each new version since 7.10 is equally bad.

Beans

I am having the same problem with Ati card on my touch-enabled laptop.
    Ubuntu is there, but I can see nothing after 1st restart.
    I managed to connect to the internet
    I can login with SSH and make changes. But what should I change ??? Help !!

Beans
    Distro

Here is what I did:-

On the Grub Menu, I select

"Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.35-22-generic" and press "e" so I can edit the boot parameter.

On

linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-22-generic root=UUID=3df857a3-9c1b-4fd3-b0fc-52838eaa2023 ro quiet splash

I changed it to

linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-22-generic root=UUID=3df857a3-9c1b-4fd3-b0fc-52838eaa2023 ro nomodeset single

and press 'ctrl-x'.

You should be able to see the kernel loading messages from the screen, and if I am not wrong, you will see the console screen, (no GUI).

Log in with your username, and password. Then try startx. If you can boot into the desktop environment, congratulations! ..., if not you gonna have to try to use apt-get to install your graphic card driver off the console.

If you are on the desktop GUI, go ahead and activate the "Additional Drivers" under System > Administration. And reboot.

Hopefully this would resolve your issue. At least, that's what I did to resolve mine.

Cheers.

Beans

A thousand thank yous Mr jonikang. That is exactly the kind of highly specific info that makes it work for one of my meager skills and knowledge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast