Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gparted can't see ntfs partitions of new win7 install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

gparted can't see ntfs partitions of new win7 install

hi,

so i installed win7 ultimate on a 2TB HD and was hoping to dual-boot it with meerkat, i did a standard install and shrunk the partition using win7 disk management to leave 500GB for ubuntu.

problem is ubuntu can't detect the existing win7 install, when selecting advanced setup it just shows one big unallocated partition.

i went back into win7 and extended the partition again, then booted into ubuntu live cd to see if maybe gparted would do the trick. gparted also cannot detect the existing win7 install and just displays unallocated 1.82TB.

in terminal if i do 'sudo parted /dev/sda print' i get this message:

Warning: /dev/sda contains GPT signatures, indicating that it has a GPT table.
    However, it does not have a valid fake msdos partition table, as it should.
    Perhaps it was corrupted -- possibly by a program that doesn't understand GPT
    partition tables. Or perhaps you deleted the GPT table, and are now using an
    msdos partition table. Is this a GPT partition table?
    Yes/No? ^C

wasn't sure what to write there so i just breaked out of it.

anyone experienced this before?

thanks.
    Try Dropbox today - the ultimate online storage tool! Follow me on Twitter @ http://twitter.com/fcuk112.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: gparted can't see ntfs partitions of new win7 install

Is this on a MAC? It seems you have a GPT setup rather than the normal MBR. This is likely to be your problem with Gparted.
    I don't have a link I'm afraid, but if you do a search for GPT or GUID Partition Table you will surely come across posts by srs5694. He has helped several people in your situation. That's the best I can do for you, but somebody else may be more able than me to advise you.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

no, it's not on a mac. it's a shuttle sp35p2 - does it have anything to do with bios settings?

i'll search for the links, thanks.
    Try Dropbox today - the ultimate online storage tool! Follow me on Twitter @ http://twitter.com/fcuk112.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I see. I don't think it is a bios problem.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by fcuk112 View Post
    no, it's not on a mac. it's a shuttle sp35p2 - does it have anything to do with bios settings?

i'll search for the links, thanks.
    Is the Windows disk a Basic disk or a Dynamic disk?
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans

Does your Windows 7 install boot correctly?
    Last edited by mister_playboy; November 12th, 2010 at 05:10 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

The problem is probably that the disk used to be a GUID Partition Table (GPT) disk, but it was incompletely converted to Master Boot Record (MBR) form, leaving most of the GPT data behind to confuse partitioning software. If this is the problem, it can be resolved as described in this post of mine in another thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

yes, thanks for your help all! i started off by installing ubuntu and make space using gparted, when i then went to try and install win7 it complained about GPT partitions. i then tried to do it the other way around and did a clean install of win7 which seems was done not so cleanly.

srs5694, i was able to resolve it by following your instructions from one of the links:

Code:
    OK, then, it looks like you've got a new MBR with residual GPT data, which is confusing GParted. You'll have to wipe the GPT data. Here's how:

Boot your PartedMagic or System Rescue CD emergency disc.
    For safety, back up your MBR by typing "dd if=/dev/sda of=sda-backup.mbr bs=512 count=1" and then copying the resulting file (sda-backup.mbr) to a USB flash drive, network share, or some other medium. Be sure to get the if= and of= parameters right, though!
    Launch gdisk by typing "gdisk /dev/sda". When asked whether to use the MBR or GPT data, either will work.
    Type "x" to enter the experts' menu. The command prompt should change.
    Type "z" to "zap" (destroy) the GPT data. Tell it to proceed, but answer "N" to the question about blanking the MBR.

That's it. Windows should boot as it did before and you should now be able to continue your installation of Ubuntu; its installer should now see the same partitions as Windows.
    gparted could recognise the partitions and ubuntu is now installing...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Just to let you know your solution worked for me.. Thx!
    Hey guys, I pretty much had the same problem:

- I created a few partitions with Ubuntu 11.04 Livediscs GPartEd (on my 1TB disc)
    - tried to install Win7 but it complained about GPT Partitions
    so: I deleted all partitions and installed Win7
    - booted up in 11.04 Livedisc again: GParted shows me just 'unallocated space'
    then I tried to install Ubuntu anyways coz the installer said it would put it next to Windows. It did, except it saw the other windows install I had (different HDD) and just put it straight over my fresh installed one..

Then I found this thread;
    - Installed Win7 again
    - ran PartEdMagic Livedisc and deleted GPT
    - GPartEd on my Ubuntu 11.04 Livedisc could now see my fresh windows install and I am now running dual-boot Win7/Natty.

Thx

> Edit: ****112's post above me was my solution too
    Last edited by Dribbel; May 11th, 2011 at 01:53 PM. Reason: completion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast