Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: gparted can't see ntfs partitions of new win7 install

Beans

Re: gparted can't see ntfs partitions of new win7 install

i have the same problem and it worked for me. Thank you so much srs5694 and you too fcuk112 for posting the solution.

Beans

thanks for solution fcuk112, solved same problem for me also

Beans
    Hidden!

followed the directions and it worked! so i wanted to say thank you!

on a side note, i noticed that the "--zap" option destroys the GPT and leaves the MBR in tact.

i was hoping to stick with GPT completely and saw that Gparted supports GPT since I was hoping to install multiple operating systems on my machine. e.g. Windows 7, Windows 8, Ubuntu, Snow Leopard, and Arch.

I'm new to the whole UEFI and GPT standards and it's all been throwing me for a loop since I'm so accustomed to using EFI and MBR standards.

i found a few posts, including the FAQ on the Gparted Website and on SourceForge, that gParted supports GPT.

My question is that if I wanted to switch back to GPT, should I format the drive completely and start from scratch using Gparted? or should I just continue as is? or should I use another Partition Editor like "gdisk"?

I also read up on the Wiki's, but they all seem to be vague on this one detail.

I'd appreciate any feed back

Beans

Hello, I had the same problem and was able to solve it by following the gdisk instructions above. Thanks!

Details are as follows: I purchased a new laptop containing Windows 8. I wiped it clean and installed Windows 7. Gparted would not recognize the Windows 7 partition until I wiped the GMT with gdisk.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Closing thread as it is old.
    But a update for those who keep finding this thread.

While instructions are still ok, as with everything computers there is a newer better way. The author of gdisk, srs5694 created a application just to remove old gpt data, as gdisk is a bit more complex as it is more for complete gpt partition creation & maintenance.

To convert a partition from primary to logical, at least one free (unallocated) sector must exist between the partition and the one that precedes it.
    Fixparts - Repair broken partition tables (not overlapping issues) & delete Stray gpt data from MBR drives
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1705325
    http://www.rodsbooks.com/fixparts/
    First backup partition table, use your drive for sdX or sda, sdb etc.
    sudo sfdisk -d /dev/sdX > parts.txt

Any other issues should be a new thread.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12