Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Source Mathcad?

Beans

Open Source Mathcad?

I am looking for a FOSS alternative (cross platform, preferably) for Mathcad. What I really like about Mathcad is the live worksheet interface. Console based programs aren't nearly as convenient, in my opinion. I've already looked into Maxima, Octave and Scilab, but they all use console based input. Does anyone know of any program (or GUI for the aforementioned programs) that would function as an alternative to Mathcad with the same live worksheet interface?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Open Source Mathcad?

i know octave..
    but it is a alternative of matlab witch i think its very similar... with mathcad
    also try scilab
    If i could change something in the world..
    i would turn the sea blue again and feed the poor..

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by camdecoster View Post
    I am looking for a FOSS alternative (cross platform, preferably) for Mathcad. What I really like about Mathcad is the live worksheet interface. Console based programs aren't nearly as convenient, in my opinion. I've already looked into Maxima, Octave and Scilab, but they all use console based input. Does anyone know of any program (or GUI for the aforementioned programs) that would function as an alternative to Mathcad with the same live worksheet interface?
    QtOctave and Koctave are nice GUI frontends for octave and the latest Qtoctave works just like matlab.. you might wanna give it a try ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by thisismalhotra View Post
    QtOctave and Koctave are nice GUI frontends for octave and the latest Qtoctave works just like matlab.. you might wanna give it a try ...
    Yes Koctave works just like Matlab.. I use it..

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

No offense here but I would still go with Qtoctave, as Koctave has not been updated in ages and Qtoctave is a working branch with active developers and they have added few other tools to the GUI such as EasyPlot which helps a lot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Octave and Matlab are different to Mathcad, I think you want something like xMaxima (http://packages.ubuntu.com/maxima)

Have a look at this page there's some good links: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuScience

Beans

Thanks for all the responses. I can't seem to find any program with a Mathcad-like interface, but I suppose Maxima or Scilab will work for the most part. If anyone finds anything, please add it to this post or PM me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by camdecoster View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. I can't seem to find any program with a Mathcad-like interface, but I suppose Maxima or Scilab will work for the most part. If anyone finds anything, please add it to this post or PM me.
    if you looking for ,,Mathcad-like interface'' program ... could be a hard task, but maybe CalcTeX could be supportive for you. this package is still developing and should be an alternative to mathcad.

http://sg.bzip.pl/CalcTeX/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

This thread might be useful. The bottom line is there isn't yet an alternative; MathCad seems to be quite unique.

Beans

You can try FreeMat:

http://freemat.sourceforge.net/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast