Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Proprietary forum software

Beans

Angry Proprietary forum software

Ubuntuforums use vBulletin, which is proprietary software.

Ubuntu represents freedom. I think Ubuntuforums should not use proprietary software. I think it should use a free open source forum software.

In the spirit of Ubuntu!

Beans

Re: Proprietary forum software

Quote Originally Posted by Morot313 View Post
    Ubuntuforums use vBulletin, which is proprietary software.

Ubuntu represents freedom. I think Ubuntuforums should not use proprietary software. I think it should use a free open source forum software.

In the spirit of Ubuntu!
    I read this exact post word for word somewhere before....
    sudo rm -rf permanently deletes files. Don't use it unless you KNOW what you are doing!

Beans

Beans

I assume though that the ubuntuforums team is keeping an eye on FOSS forum software for when something becomes mature enough for them to use, right? RIGHT????
    I am not a lawyer...yet.
    Music Manumit Podcast - remixable Creative Commons music!
    My neglected blog: http://douglasawh.wordpress.com
    My website: http://opensourceplayground.org

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasAWh View Post
    I assume though that the ubuntuforums team is keeping an eye on FOSS forum software for when something becomes mature enough for them to use, right? RIGHT????
    This forum has over .5 millions members. The database is over 10 GB. The inclusion of a simple feature can cause the entire forum to do weird things.

Extensive testing must be done on all new things (except the thanks feature, which went live by accident during testing and has problems still).

Changing to another software package, even if superior in theory would be most impracticle if not impossible even with paid workers.

The cost of vBulletin is paid by Canonical, and is the best solution for the purpose. An important thing in software is to use the best that you can get. Usually, it will be FOSS, but occasionally, something non free is the best. (Opera, for one )

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    This forum has over .5 millions members. The database is over 10 GB. The inclusion of a simple feature can cause the entire forum to do weird things.

Extensive testing must be done on all new things (except the thanks feature, which went live by accident during testing and has problems still).

Changing to another software package, even if superior in theory would be most impracticle if not impossible even with paid workers.

The cost of vBulletin is paid by Canonical, and is the best solution for the purpose. An important thing in software is to use the best that you can get. Usually, it will be FOSS, but occasionally, something non free is the best. (Opera, for one )
    Too bad Ubuntu won't include any proprietary stuffs it needs on the CD to make life easier for new users.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That would cause quite a population of users to go ballistic.

I think Ubuntu is amazing - it manages to do so well, while retaining the sense of "freedom" very distinctively also.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jrusso2 View Post
    Too bad Ubuntu won't include any proprietary stuffs it needs on the CD to make life easier for new users.
    It is possible to have non free components included in a distro, OpenSuSE for one is an excellant distro whose developers have made in that manner, but it would not be legal to infringe on licenses and Ubuntu is meant to be free is most senses of the word.

If people want non free software, that is fine, but it shouldn't be forced on them. A completely free operating system is a welcome development.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    An important thing in software is to use the best that you can get. Usually, it will be FOSS, but occasionally, something non free is the best. (Opera, for one )
    I thought free was an important thing and often the best simply because it is free. How is using non-free software going to help improve free software? Maybe if ubuntu had used some of the free forum software it would be more developed by now....

slippery slope #2

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by souneedalink View Post
    I thought free was an important thing and often the best simply because it is free. How is using non-free software going to help improve free software? Maybe if ubuntu had used some of the free forum software it would be more developed by now....

slippery slope #2
    I don't understand. Ubuntu is free and does use free software.

Using the best tools for the job is important. The development model of free software makes for very good software, but it isn't written in stone. The virtue of being open source doesn't make software better.

Opera, this forum software, and some others programs are examples of proprietary software that is very good, and better than its competitors in at least some ways.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast