Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Proprietary forum software

Beans

Re: Proprietary forum software

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    I don't understand. Ubuntu is free and does use free software.

Using the best tools for the job is important. The development model of free software makes for very good software, but it isn't written in stone. The virtue of being open source doesn't make software better.

Opera, this forum software, and some others programs are examples of proprietary software that is very good, and better than its competitors in at least some ways.
    I am just wondering how they can draw the line at non free forum software yet won't have it on the CD even if its needed to help people.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jrusso2 View Post
    I am just wondering how they can draw the line at non free forum software yet won't have it on the CD even if its needed to help people.
    "they?"

UbuntuForums isn't Ubuntu...

The software is being used on two servers (I think) and is being paid for by a company.

Ubuntu is being distributed for free.

Two entirely different cases.

Beans

"they?"

UbuntuForums isn't Ubuntu...

The software is being used on two servers (I think) and is being paid for by a company.

Ubuntu is being distributed for free.

Two entirely different cases.
    So if I understand you the forum is not run by Cannonical and therefore it does not matter if it uses free software? But the distro must be only free software?

Is this what your saying?

Beans

So if I understand you the forum is not run by Cannonical and therefore it does not matter if it uses free software? But the distro must be only free software?

Is this what your saying?
    No. I am saying the forum software is being used by Canonical, not being distributed by it.

Distributing non free software is illegal, so they don't.

They probably run the servers with free software (Apache + MySQL at least, don't know the OS)

Ubuntu has been given the task of being free
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntu.com
    The Ubuntu promise
    Ubuntu will always be free of charge, including enterprise releases and security updates.
    Ubuntu comes with full commercial support from Canonical and hundreds of companies around the world.
    Ubuntu includes the very best translations and accessibility infrastructure that the free software community has to offer.
    Ubuntu CDs contain only free software applications; we encourage you to use free and open source software, improve it and pass it on.
    The makers of vBulletin have a different license.

Beans

Since when is distributing non free software illegal. If this was true how do companies like Novell, Suse, Mandriva. Freespire, get aways with this illegal activity?

The truth is this is a philosophical choice made by Cannonical. Thats why its puzzling that the same company can use non free software in other places.

Beans

Since when is distributing non free software illegal. If this was true how do companies like Novell, Suse, Mandriva. Freespire, get aways with this illegal activity?
    They pay for it. Novell has chosen to do whatever they need to do to legally distribute the applications.

(Novell makes Suse)

Beans
    Hidden!

The virtue of being open source doesn't make software better.
    The virtue of being free software does make it better since anyone is free to modify it, use it, distribute it, incorporate it into something else....so may things that make it better simply because it is free. One reason free software is not improved as fast as some users would like is because those users are using non-free and are not helping free software to improve. slippery slope...

Opera, this forum software, and some others programs are examples of proprietary software that is very good, and better than its competitors in at least some ways.
    true - better at lock-in, forced upgrades, DRM, hiding flaws, etc...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by souneedalink View Post
    The virtue of being free software does make it better since anyone is free to modify it, use it, distribute it, incorporate it into something else....so may things that make it better simply because it is free. One reason free software is not improved as fast as some users would like is because those users are using non-free and are not helping free software to improve. slippery slope...

true - better at lock-in, forced upgrades, DRM, hiding flaws, etc...
    The virtue of free software gives it a lot of potential. But my programs that are free are not magically better than closed source solutions.

No, the software used in this forum is not some binary they get. They get the source and they can change it for their own purposes, it is in PHP. There are no forced upgrades, DRM, or hiding of flaws.

Not every software company is unethical.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

May I also remind the OP and the other participants that this topic has been discussed many times before, there is even a sticky on this issue:-
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=176622

Please read through that before trying to make another thread on this topic or trying to go through with this current thread.
    Think carefully before executing commands containing "rm", especially "sudo rm -rf ", if you require more information concerning this matter, read this.
    I am an experimenter, give me the most stable OS and I can make it unstable in a few hours.

C == seriously fast == FTW!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PmDematagoda View Post
    May I also remind the OP and the other participants that this topic has been discussed many times before, there is even a sticky on this issue:-
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=176622

Please read through that before trying to make another thread on this topic or trying to go through with this current thread.
    And that was my first post.

Perhaps this thread should be closed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast