Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Get proper video resolution with trident video card and Ubuntu 8.04

Hybrid View

Beans

HOWTO: Get proper video resolution with trident video card and Ubuntu 8.04

This guide assumes that you are doing a fresh install of ubuntu 8.04 and you get a wrong resolution with a trident video card.

These are the steps I did:

1. Boot up the ubuntu live cd. I selected "Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer".

2. Once it has booted up open up a terminal and enter "sudo displayconfig-gtk" (without the speech marks)

3. A window should pop up. Select Graphics Card from top. Click the button where it says 'Driver'. A window will pop up. Select the button where it says 'Choose Driver by model'

4. On the list box on the left select 'Other' then on the right list box select 'VESA (generic driver)' or something to do with 'VESA'

5. Click ok or apply to all the dialog boxes. Log out and Ubuntu will automatically log back on in 10 seconds. Once it has logged back in. go back into terminal and enter "sudo displayconfig-gtk" (without the speech marks).

6. Click on the button where it says 'Model' and a dialog box will pop up. Select 'Generic' on the left list box and 'LCD Panel ' & what ever your laptop's native resolution is. Click ok on that box. Then click ok on the other box. Log out again and wait 10 seconds.

7. Click the icon on the desktop called 'Install' and install Ubuntu on your computer with whatever settings you want. Once Ubuntu is installed then reboot.

8. Log on with your user account that you created during the install. Open up terminal and enter "sudo displayconfig-gtk" (without the speech marks). The terminal will ask for a password. Just put in the PASSWORD that you normally log on with your username with.

9. A dialog box will pop up. Select Graphics Card from top. Click the button where it says 'Driver'. A window will pop up. Select the button where it says 'Choose Driver by model'

10. Select 'trident' on the left list box. On the right list box select what type of trident card you have (In my case I had a CyberBlade)

11. Click OK. Then Click ok on the other dialog box. Then restart the computer. When you log back in you will have the right resolution with your laptop. Enjoy

I hope you can understand this guide. I typed what I remembered at the back of my head. Sorry for the Spelling Mistakes and Grammar (hey i'm only 14 years old). I take no responsibility if it stuffs up your computer somehow (but it won't)

Feel free to post whether it worked or not
    Last edited by ilovelinux33467; April 24th, 2008 at 12:30 AM.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Get proper video resolution with trident video card and Ubuntu 8.04

Thanks for this. Seems to have sorted the issue on the laptop alone.

Unfortunately bieng a 40 something novice to Linux and especially ubuntu (First install).. I am struggling to make a second screen work whilst plugged into docker.. laptop screen down. therefore want secondary monitor to be master...

Looks og at login screen i.e. correct resolution but as soon as I log in auto adjusts back to 800 x 600 leaving a large black border around the edge.

Any assistance would be appreciated

Many Thanks in advance

Derek

P.S do not worry about age or typing skills.. You obviously know more than me and that's what counts.

Beans

Update

Managed to solve it By disconnecting secondry monitor and updating as above all the relevent configs. And then restarted each config indivudually so that ubunto could work out what was happening..

Think I was running before I could walk.. Did the same with some "Redmond" OS as well.

Derek.

Beans

This is to confirm that

sudo displayconfig-gtk

solved my problem on Dynabook T3 410PME resolution problem. The ubuntu menu wouldn't let me choose above 800x600 but playing with above command led me to choose proper 1024x768. Behavior is stalbe after reboot. The hardware is trident CyberBlade XP Ai1.

Thanks,
    aquammles22f

Beans

Hello,

I tried this guide on Hardy live CD and confirm that it works great on my old laptop Toshiba Tecra 8200

My temporary workaround before I found this guide:
    copied the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file from Ubuntu 7.10 (which works fine) to Hardy.

Thanks a lot.

Beans

Duuuude!
    Thanks so much for posting. I've been trying to figure this out for weeks. Almost gave up after the 3rd reinstall of Xubu. I changed the last step to a better selection for my lap, dell lcd - but your solution was the easiest and the only one I found that worked. I dont care if you are only 14 - BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beans

Well done young man! I put 8.04 on my old Satellite Pro laptop this morning and had "midget screen" syndrome on the Cyberblade display. But you solved it, and it worked like a charm for me too. It would have been nice if this display configurator were already on the menu. Anyway, well done and thank you very much for the tip.

SDM (Systems Theory)
    http://systemstheory.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The way that this turned my screen into a digital Jackson Pollock painting after following the first instruction, I can now see that this is something to try with a live CD rather than a hard drive and later, when I have time. Even still, it is a promising place to begin.

If anyone would like to save me the trouble, however, and figure out the precise choices to make using xubuntu and a Toshiba satellite 4080XCDT, I would be very happy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Talking Re: HOWTO: Get proper video resolution with trident video card and Ubuntu 8.04

Great post. The method worked with Xubuntu Hardy on a Toshiba S1800 514 laptop with Cyberblade graphics AFTER installing from the alternate CD. (You have to use your sudo password at each login of course) Iwould note that while installing the laptop fan didn't run properly and I had to take the top off, use bellows etc to get it to the end of the install without crashing due to high temp. Seems OK once rebooted after install.........

Beans

You have got to be one of the brightest 14 year olds around. Thank you for this post. As an absolute newbie to linux I have searched and tried many different suggestions but none worked. This one worked on my Toshiba Satellite 1800 HV9III with the Trident CyberALADDIN-T graphics controller.

=D>
    Last edited by Gremlin001; June 12th, 2008 at 01:29 PM. Reason: spelling error

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast