Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Install VirtualBox on Ubuntu 8.04LTS (Hardy Heron) [Tutorial]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Talking Re: How To: Install VirtualBox on Ubuntu 8.04LTS (Hardy Heron) [Tutorial]

Worked perfectly on Acer 5102WLMI with 8.04

Beans

Re: How To: Install VirtualBox on Ubuntu 8.04LTS (Hardy Heron) [Tutorial]

Quote Originally Posted by Stian View Post
    There are hardy packages, but you have to look a bit around to find them.. http://www.virtualbox.org/download/1.5.6/
    Much faster download as well.
    Works like a charm...

Beans

I'm having a bit of a problem here... When I try to install the non-OSE version of VirtualBox, I get the following error message:

"Compilation of the kernel module FAILED!

VirtualBox will not start until this problem is fixed. Please consult '/var/log/vbox-install.log' to find out why the kernel module does not compile. Most probably the kernel sources were not found. Install them and execute '/etc/init.d/vboxdrv' setup as root."

I have no idea what to do... Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Ich fliege auf Gürteltieren in meiner Freizeit. Was machts du denn?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Thanks for the HowTo, but it must be noted that some systems (was in my case for sure) that libxalan110 must be installed as it contains the package/library libxercese27 and installation will fail. You'll have at this point to either install it first or go ahead with the installation and run "sudo apt-get -f install" to correct the problems.

Also of note seeing that it will have to build a component against your kernel headers that build essential and kernel headers should be installed first. Otherwise, great tutorial.
    Life is easier when it's filled with challenges

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mtgmutton View Post
    I'm having a bit of a problem here... When I try to install the non-OSE version of VirtualBox, I get the following error message:

VirtualBox will not start until this problem is fixed. Please consult '/var/log/vbox-install.log' to find out why the kernel module does not compile. Most probably the kernel sources were not found. Install them and execute '/etc/init.d/vboxdrv' setup as root."

As you read in the tutorial, the one in the repos are much harder to configure. You're better off using the free packages from the virtual website linked to in the tutorial.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by mtgmutton View Post

I was sure this was going to come up eventually. Now, I'm not 100% sure that this will work in Ubuntu, but it worked everytime for Fedora 8: Go ahead and type in the command "sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup" and see what happens. Otherwise, post your log in an attachment from /var/log/vbox-install.log.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Princey View Post
    Thanks for the HowTo, but it must be noted that some systems (was in my case for sure) that libxalan110 must be installed as it contains the package/library libxercese27 and installation will fail. You'll have at this point to either install it first or go ahead with the installation and run "sudo apt-get -f install" to correct the problems.

Also of note seeing that it will have to build a component against your kernel headers that build essential and kernel headers should be installed first. Otherwise, great tutorial.
    That's an interesting point. I thought that I had installed VirtualBox on a fresh install of 8.04, but after checking my terminal history, I did have build-essentials installed first. I will update the tutorial ASAP. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

No problem, mate. I'm having one small issue with my setup though. My install went flawlessly after the small hiccup I spoke about. I can see my host machine, I can browse my local network with the computers downstairs, two of which runs Windows. However, I don't have internet access within the guest (running WinXP SP2). Currently I use NAT, no other connection works. For that matter, if I chose direct through host, bridge or any other, virtual box will not load the vm and will report an error message. Still trying to figure what went wrong there.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SendDerek View Post
    I was sure this was going to come up eventually. Now, I'm not 100% sure that this will work in Ubuntu, but it worked everytime for Fedora 8: Go ahead and type in the command "sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup" and see what happens. Otherwise, post your log in an attachment from /var/log/vbox-install.log.
    I tried this, and this is what showed up in the terminal:
    "* Stopping VirtualBox kernel module vboxdrv [ OK ]
    * Recompiling VirtualBox kernel module vboxdrv
    * Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong"

So I went into "/var/log/vbox-install.log" and got this:
    "Makefile:75: *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again. Stop."
    Ich fliege auf Gürteltieren in meiner Freizeit. Was machts du denn?

Beans

Unhappy Re: How To: Install VirtualBox on Ubuntu 8.04LTS (Hardy Heron) [Tutorial]

I have followed all the steps (AMD64) and get the following error message

Could not load the Host USB Proxy Service (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND). The service might be not installed on the host computer.

Result Code:
    0x80004005
    Component:
    Host
    Interface:
    IHost {81729c26-1aec-46f5-b7c0-cc7364738fdb}
    Callee:
    IMachine {31f7169f-14da-4c55-8cb6-a3665186e35e}

Help anyone ?

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast