Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing VMWare Server in Hardy

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Installing VMWare Server in Hardy

This is a cleaned up copy of the instructions for installing the VMWare Server from tar.gz found at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=613976 with a correction thanks to forrestallen. Since the Hardy Beta forums are now locked I thought it might be best to make a copy here to allow further discussion if needed.

First install the packages needed by vmware.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`
    sudo apt-get install xinetd
    for 64bit installs also install the ia32-libs
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
    Additionally I recommend installing the linux-header metapackage appropriate to your kernel. "sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic" for desktops in the standard kernel and "sudo apt-get install linux-headers-server" for server installs. This makes it easier down the road, automatically pulling down the headers if the kernel gets updated.

next download vmware server and expand it out somewhere
    Code:
    tar -xvzf VMware-server-1.0.6-91891.tar.gz
    then do the install
    Code:
    cd vmware-server-distrib
    sudo ./vmware-install.pl
    Answer the questions, the defaults are fine, though you may want to customize the network config.

once installed I received an error trying to launch vmware so I cheated and copied the libraries over, which seems to have resolved that issue.
    Code:
    sudo ln -sf /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1/libgcc_s.so.1
    sudo ln -sf  /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0 /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libpng12.so.0/libpng12.so.0
    (I found this tip online as well but now I can not find the link.)

if you get an error like this at the end of the compile step:
    Code:
    Unable to get the last modification timestamp of the destination file 
    /etc/vmware/ssl/rui.key.
    then create the key and cert files for vmware. (I think, though I am not certain, this came up because I had not yet installed the ia32-libs on my 64-bit machine prior to doing the initial install.)
    Code:
    sudo touch /etc/vmware/ssl/rui.key
    sudo touch /etc/vmware/ssl/rui.crt
    If you want to install on a Hardy server without X you will still need to install a few X libraries in order for the install to work:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libx11-6 linxtst6 libxt6 libxrender1
    Also note that I had a number of issues on one upgraded machine where I was using the partner repositories debs prior to the upgrade. I would recommend backing up your VMs and then removing the VMWare install completely prior to upgrading.

EDIT 28 Apr 2008: Removed the rewriting of the libgtk2.0-0.loaders file since the incorrect lines were corrected around Hardy final.

EDIT: 30 May 2008: Update instructions to VMWare Server 1.0.6. 10.06 does not require the any-any patch so I highly recommend it.
    Last edited by Kokopelli; May 30th, 2008 at 11:03 PM.

Beans

Re: Installing VMWare Server in Hardy

Thanks for the great guide.

Question - what about running the VMWare Server Console? I'd like to be able to manage my VMs from my main Ubuntu machine and I've followed the directions to resolve the errors during the Console install. Now I run "vmware-server-console" and nothing happens.

Any suggestions?

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Installing VMWare Server in Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Child of Wonder View Post
    Question - what about running the VMWare Server Console? I'd like to be able to manage my VMs from my main Ubuntu machine and I've followed the directions to resolve the errors during the Console install. Now I run "vmware-server-console" and nothing happens.

Any suggestions?
    To start the VMware Server Console from terminal, the command is
    Code:
    vmware
    BTW: Also thanks from my side, the guide worked like a charm and I have VMware Server running again
    COMPROMISE: Let's agree to respect each other's views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Beans

thank you, Kokopelli
    explanation is clear, and the vmware-server works
    great job

Beans

Thanks for the guide it works like a charm !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by useResa View Post
    To start the VMware Server Console from terminal, the command is
    Code:
    vmware
    That command doesn't exist and a "find" doesn't locate any file with that name on the system. The only command I have is "vmware-server-console." I installed the 1.0.5 Console.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Installing VMWare Server in Hardy

I was able to get mine working by following these instructions, but I wanted to make one addition. If you had vmware server installed under Gutsy, you may get an error during installation that vmware is already installed. All I had to do was rename the directory /etc/vmware to /etc/vmware-gutsy and the installer ran without a problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by muecker View Post
    I was able to get mine working by following these instructions, but I wanted to make one addition. If you had vmware server installed under Gutsy, you may get an error during installation that vmware is already installed. All I had to do was rename the directory /etc/vmware to /etc/vmware-gutsy and the installer ran without a problem.
    Good idea... many have had issues with trying to re-install vmware and couldn't... all you do is what you suggest. It's easier than trying to uninstall. After, you can simply delete the old name-changed directory if you wish, eh? Thanks!
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I think the step for 64 bit systems where we adjust the loader is no longer needed. It seems the loader was adjusted sometime around the final release of Hardy. Can a 64 bit user run the following command to confirm?

Code:
    cat /usr/lib32/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loader-files.d/libgtk2.0-0.loaders |grep lib32
    if you get hits then the final step for 64 bit machines is no longer needed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Lots of hits... the final step is no longer needed.

Code:
    frank@sunshine:~$ cat /usr/lib32/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loader-files.d/libgtk2.0-0.loaders |grep lib32
    "/usr/lib32/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-ani.so"
    "/usr/lib32/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-bmp.so"
    "/usr/lib32/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-gif.so"
    "/usr/lib32/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-ico.so"
    "/usr/lib32/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-jpeg.so"
    "/usr/lib32/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-pcx.so"
    "/usr/lib32/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-png.so"
    "/usr/lib32/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-pnm.so"
    "/usr/lib32/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-ras.so"
    "/usr/lib32/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-tga.so"
    "/usr/lib32/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-tiff.so"
    "/usr/lib32/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-wbmp.so"
    "/usr/lib32/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-xbm.so"
    "/usr/lib32/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-xpm.so"
    Thanks for all your efforts to clear things up and help us running.
    Last edited by fjgaude; April 28th, 2008 at 06:36 PM.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast