Thread: Cant install ubuntu 8.04

Beans

Cant install ubuntu 8.04

Ubuntu i386.iso
    I installed ubuntu from wubi, and when it asked for reboot it hanged up on the orange progress bar and after a while displayed some errors :

udevd-event [5750] : run_program '/sbin/modprobe' abnormal exit
    /etc/rcS.d/s10udev : 105 : usplash_write : not found
    init : rcS main process (5455) killed by SEGV Signal
    init : Unable to execute "/bin/sh/" for rc-default : No such file or directory
    init : rc-default main processs (6687) terminated with status 255

So i uninstalled ubuntu from wubi, and tried to boot from the live cd and i still get the errors

my system config is :
    c2d e6550
    nvidia 8600 GT
    1 GB ddr2 RAM
    320 GB HDD
    samsung 17" LCD monitor
    Last edited by The Conqueror; May 19th, 2008 at 02:55 PM.

Beans

Re: Cant install ubuntu 8.04

it seems to me that the cd or cd image was downloaded bad or burned bad or something like this...i had same problem that i got an error then i burned it with new cd and it goes well...but that's only my idea...it could not be your problem....

Beans

no i can install ubuntu in vmware successfully so it couldnt be bad cd problem

Beans

for problems with wubi post there http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=234

for installation try here http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=333

You have beter chances to get an anser there, here is just the 64 bit version, you have the 32 vertion.Not many peopol will see this post.Move the hole poste there

apparently it failled to load a driver.

Do a "check cd for defects"

boot with faillsafe
    boot with out the splash screen and see at what it hangs.Then try to unplug or deactivate whatever is the problem,if it's for example sound, you can survive the install, if it's the hard disk your in trouble.

You can try the alternate install cd.It's a text mode install, more robust to problems.

do you have an usb stick of more then +-700MB?

Moved to Wubi forum.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans

If you have the same problems when you boot from live CD it is not wubi related. It is unlikely that you have a bad ISO since wubi checks the md5.

The fact that you can install to vm suggest that it might be an incompatibility with your hardware. There are workarounds for that via boot parameters like xforcevesa or acpi=off or irq=poll.

Such workarounds can be enabled from the Live CD (see boot options) or Wubi (press esc at boot). You will have to search for the make and model of your machine to find the appropriate parameters to use.

Also, if you do not find any existing bug in launchpad, open a new one, reporting your hardware issues, so that it can be addressed for good.