Thread: Linux version of "Snap" for dual head setups

Beans

Linux version of "Snap" for dual head setups

Hi,

I found a set of commands for use with compiz to resize the current active window to cover half the screen from left or from right (equivalent to "Snap" in Win7) on this webpage: http://www.clickonf5.org/linux/use-a...re-ubuntu/6956

However, on my dual head setup this would not work as X handles both the screens as one and TwinView (for those using nvidia cards) takes care of telling GNOME which display to maximize the current window on etc (as far as I understand it. I could be wrong).

This bash script finds the location of the mouse pointer and moves the active window to that display, taking the argument "right" to move it to the right half of the screen and with none arguments moves it to the left side of the screen. It needs to be modified if the displays are not of the same resolution. The Edge Binding solution with compiz (from the link above) is of no use as, again, X handles both screens as one. Instead use keyboard shortcuts. Execute the script with the argument "right" (i.e. "/usr/sbin/windows_arrange right") to move the window to the right side of the screen and without any arguments for the left side of the screen.

You would also need wmctrl and xdotool so from a terminal type:
    sudo apt-get install wmctrl xdotool

Make a script by pasting the following code:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    DISP_WIDTH=1920
    HALF=$(($DISP_WIDTH/2))
    X_POS=`xdotool getmouselocation | cut -f 2 -d ':' | cut -f 1 -d 'y'`

if [[ "$X_POS" -le "$DISP_WIDTH" ]]; then
      X_ZERO=0
    else
      X_ZERO=$DISP_WIDTH
    fi

if [[ "$1" = "right" ]]; then
      X_ZERO=$(($X_ZERO + $HALF))
    fi

wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b add,maximized_vert && wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -e 0,$X_ZERO,0,$HALF,-1
    sudo gedit /usr/sbin/windows_arrange
    Paste the above code
    Change the value of DISP_WIDTH to your setup (the horizontal resolution of one of your displays)
    Save and exit gedit
    sudo chmod +x /usr/sbin/windows_arrange
    Last edited by iverasp; December 21st, 2010 at 12:04 AM.