Thread: Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) New network manager confusion

Beans

Unhappy Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) New network manager confusion

There are several things I find uncomfortable with new network manager:

1. There is no longer "Manual configuration..." menu item on left-click on network-status icon in gnome.

2. Left-click on network status icon brings the same window as left-click->properties. I would assume that Properties should be different from status.

3. There is no Hosts configuration tab in Network configuration GUI so I have to edit /etc/hosts via terminal.

4. I couldnt save manual setup of my IP until something happened which helped me to do so. (i just kept trying for a few days, if you can call this "solution").

does anyone know solutions for those?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) New network manager confusion

Quote Originally Posted by brack View Post
    There are several things I find uncomfortable with new network manager:

1. There is no longer "Manual configuration..." menu item on left-click on network-status icon in gnome.

2. Left-click on network status icon brings the same window as left-click->properties. I would assume that Properties should be different from status.

3. There is no Hosts configuration tab in Network configuration GUI so I have to edit /etc/hosts via terminal.

4. I couldnt save manual setup of my IP until something happened which helped me to do so. (i just kept trying for a few days, if you can call this "solution").

does anyone know solutions for those?
    You tried with this?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=979372

there is a inside link in the post too, you can check it out.

Beans

Question Re: Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) New network manager confusion

Quote Originally Posted by drakeman007 View Post
    You tried with this?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=979372

there is a inside link in the post too, you can check it out.
    as I say - I solved the static ip problem. When I changed ip settings to static, it suddenly asked me for password (it dint do it before) and then I decided to logout and login again. Static ip was there since. But I still have other questions standing. I didnt find the way to start network manager from within network status applet, and I dont see any part of new network manager managing hosts. Am I missing something?

Beans

Exclamation Re: Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) New network manager confusion

Ok I figure part of the question: There is no right-click menu item on network status icon because it is gnome-network-status-applet but not nm-applet so then the question is HOW to get nm-applet on the panel? shouldnt it be automatically?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) New network manager confusion