Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New printer (all in one) for Ubuntu Lucid systems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

New printer (all in one) for Ubuntu Lucid systems.

I am looking for a new wireless all in one printer for my Lucid based systems. The two main candidates don't come up when I try to Google or look on the Open Printing database:

1) Epson SX425W
    2) HP PhotoSmart WiFi Q8447

Does anyone have any experience with either printer? Is there decent Linux support? Also for wireless scanning?

Cheers
    Peppermint OS Four - Dell Vostro 3350, Peppermint OS Three - Acer Aspire One 725 & Asus Eee PC 1015BX, Ubuntu 12.04 - home built AMD desktop,
    Military justice is to justice what military music is to music. - Groucho Marx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: New printer (all in one) for Ubuntu Lucid systems.

The Epson SX425W works OK with Lucid using the Avasys drivers and software

Printing over USB:Scanning over USB:

• Works "out-of-the box" e.g. with Applications > Graphics > Simple Scan
    Printing over Wifi:

• Set the printer up with IP address (e.g. 192.168.0.5), SSID, password etc. using the Network Settings menu on the LCD display. Setup via a GUI over USB is only possible via Windows, using the install CD.
    • With lsb and driver installed as for USB above do
      System > Administration > Printing > Add > Network Printer
    • Select Epson Stylus SX420W(192.168.0.5), leave as default Passthru Mode.
    • Click on Forward, wait for driver search to complete, then modify Printer name, Description and Location as appropriate
    Scanning over Wifi, as suggested by olivers at http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-1089972.html:

• Install iscan for the GT20000 from http://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux_e/scan/DL1.do - for me it was iscan-data_1.0.1-1_all.deb, iscan_2.25.0-1.ltdl7_i386.deb, iscan-network-nt_1.1.0-2_i386.deb
    • sudo sh -c "echo net 192.168.0.5 >> /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf (modify IP address 192.168.0.5 as appropriate)
    • check iscan S/W works over USB with Applications > Graphics > Image Scan! for Linux - this seemed to initialise the settings for the next step ..
    • run iscan S/W or xsane and select the available device tagged [epkowa:net:192.168.0.5]
      • The device tagged [epson2:net:192.168.0.5] gives an I/O error and locks the printer/scanner if it is used. To prevent this option being offered comment out the "net autodiscovery" entry in /etc/sane.d/epson2.conf

Last edited by willscuff; September 7th, 2010 at 01:36 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by casbahdk View Post
    I am looking for a new wireless all in one printer for my Lucid based systems. The two main candidates don't come up when I try to Google or look on the Open Printing database:

1) Epson SX425W
    2) HP PhotoSmart WiFi Q8447

Does anyone have any experience with either printer? Is there decent Linux support? Also for wireless scanning?

Cheers
    All HP printers work OOB because of HPLIP. Not sure about wifi tho.
    You can check if its supported by looking up the printer on the HPLIP site.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks the informative reply Carlee.
    Peppermint OS Four - Dell Vostro 3350, Peppermint OS Three - Acer Aspire One 725 & Asus Eee PC 1015BX, Ubuntu 12.04 - home built AMD desktop,

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by willscuff View Post
    The Epson SX425W works OK with Lucid using the Avasys drivers and software

Printing over USB:Scanning over USB:

• Works "out-of-the box" e.g. with Applications > Graphics > Simple Scan
    Printing over Wifi:

• Set the printer up with IP address (e.g. 192.168.0.5), SSID, password etc. using the Network Settings menu on the LCD display. Setup via a GUI over USB is only possible via Windows, using the install CD.
    • With lsb and driver installed as for USB above do
      System > Administration > Printing > Add > Network Printer
    • Select Epson Stylus SX420W(192.168.0.5), leave as default Passthru Mode.
    • Click on Forward, wait for driver search to complete, then modify Printer name, Description and Location as appropriate
    Scanning over Wifi, as suggested by olivers at http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-1089972.html:

• Install iscan for the GT20000 from http://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux_e/scan/DL1.do - for me it was iscan-data_1.0.1-1_all.deb, iscan_2.25.0-1.ltdl7_i386.deb, iscan-network-nt_1.1.0-2_i386.deb
    • sudo sh -c "echo net 192.168.0.5 >> /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf (modify IP address 192.168.0.5 as appropriate)
    • check iscan S/W works over USB with Applications > Graphics > Image Scan! for Linux - this seemed to initialise the settings for the next step ..
    • run iscan S/W or xsane and select the available device tagged [epkowa:net:192.168.0.5]
      • The device tagged [epson2:net:192.168.0.5] gives an I/O error and locks the printer/scanner if it is used. To prevent this option being offered comment out the "net autodiscovery" entry in /etc/sane.d/epson2.conf

Wow, very nice guide. Thanks. I just bought the Epson SX425W today.

Beans
    Distro

Epson SX425W printing and scanning still works OK for me after an upgrade from Lucid to Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat). I haven't tried a clean install of the Avasys driver/iScan software under Maverick.

Beans
    Distro

Epson SX425W printing and scanning still works OK for me after an upgrade from Lucid to Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat). I haven't tried a clean install of the Avasys driver/iScan software under Maverick.
    Thanks for the update. BTW, do you know if two scanner drivers can exist peacefully together on a system? I have an Epson Perfection V30 connected to my desktop box via USB.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by casbahdk View Post
    Thanks for the update. BTW, do you know if two scanner drivers can exist peacefully together on a system? I have an Epson Perfection V30 connected to my desktop box via USB.
    I don't have experience with that scenario.You might have to tweak the sane-epson2 configuration file if you have problems.

Beans

[/INDENT]Printing over Wifi:[INDENT]
    Silly question time! Is it at all possible to set up the ip address etc over the LCD? (Ie, without the CD). If yes, how on earth do you do it?

Beans
    Distro

I use several printers, such as Canon and HP. All work out of the box.
    (A network printer, all in one, was installed with search for network printers for example)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast