Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Netbook Remix User Experience (and hints for eeepc 701)

Beans

Ubuntu Netbook Remix User Experience (and hints for eeepc 701)

I installed 9.04 UNR on my Asus eeepc 701 yesterday and just want to share a few hints and comments about it.

First, I was a bit hesitant to install UNR because on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...hines/Netbooks

354705 - [Jaunty] Microphone doesn't work at all on Eee 701SD

this bug really bothered me. But anyway, I couldn't resist wiping out my 8.04 for that newest version! (I was positive there must be some fixes out there).

Yes indeed!
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EeePC/Fixes
    provided the solution:

Code:
    "For the 700/701 
    Edit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base and add the line “options snd-hda-intel model=3stack-dig” 
    Run the following command: 

sudo alsactl store
    "

2. I noticed a super laggy mouse hovering experience on the application launcher that came with the UNR. I guess it is a strange bug associated with eeepc 701 only... That really destroyed the whole ubuntu experience right from the start. Anyway, as a Ubuntu user for 2 years, I turned to my best friend for solution: Google... and I located this page

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ja...x/+bug/349314/

Yes, this required me to read through this complicated page to know that I could fix it by installing two deb files: the header and the other file. (yes, it was a fix.)
    [after installing the deb files, reboot the netbook].

3. Then I tested whether my webcam with the program Cheese worked or not. Nope. But from some online pages, I realized that it had to do with my bios setting. Therefore, I rebooted my computer and pressed F2 when the computer first loaded up to get to the BIOS page, and from there I enabled the webcam.
    Fixed!

4. I tried the Desktop Switcher and after a reboot I ended up without a panel (that wouldn't fix itself after subsequent reboots). How annoying! Here I found the solution:
    Code:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1115365
    5. ***ACTUALLY THIS POINT MIGHT NOT BE VALID - I AM ABLE TO BRING UP THE PACKAGE INSTALLER TO INSTALL A DEB FILE BY DOUBLE CLICKING THE DEB FILE FROM THE NAUTILUS FILEMANAGER ... (PERHAPS WHAT DIDN'T WORK WAS THAT FIREFOX DIDN'T RECOGNIZE THE DEB ASSOCIATION SO I COULDN'T JUST DOUBLE CLICK FROM THE FIREFOX DOWNLOADS POPUP WINDOW AFTER THE DOWNLOADS ***
    I was also a little bit upset about not being able to DOUBLE CLICK to install the Skype and Adobe Flash deb packages I downloaded off the web to my desktop. It requested me to locate a program on my own to associate to open those .deb files.
    It is not a big deal for me, since I already could get away with using the
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i FULL_PATH_TO_FILENAME
    command in terminal to install the stuff. But imagine a new user who is just curious to try out Ubuntu and discovered that he can't just double click to install! (associate that darn .deb extension to that GUI tool please!)
    - on a side note, it seems that firefox didn't associate opening a directory to the nautilus file manager.

6. I guess it isn't really a UNR thing, but I have a minor complain about not being able to detect my external monitor at the correct resolution. It only allowed that external monitor to have a maximum resolution of 800 x 600 rather than 1680 x 1050. I wouldn't be able to display my presentations nicely on my school projectors if it can only get to 800x600! (Okay, I admit it is already a HUGE improvement over requiring me to work with the xandr console commands)

Overall, I am very impressed by what the Ubuntu and Linux developers have done over the years. I really wish Ubuntu would recieve more and more attention from netbook manufacturers since it is such a decent OS.

Let's just fix these annoying bugs so new users will have less excuses to turn away from Ubuntu!
    Last edited by boom2k1; April 25th, 2009 at 09:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Smile Re: Ubuntu Netbook Remix User Experience (and hints for eeepc 701)

Thanks very much for the fixes - I just installed UNR 9.04, and ran into the same issues. Other than these issues, it's working quite a bit better than the Xandros install that came with the laptop.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Netbook Remix User Experience (and hints for eeepc 701)

Thanks for the information.
    I have a 701 myself and this will surely help a lot when I install it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Any chance of letting us know which deb files to install (and links) to fix the laggy clutter launcher? The bug report mentions several so a bit of help would be ace!
    OMG! Ubuntu!
    Everything Ubuntu. Daily.

Beans

Sure!
    I used:
    linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic_2.6.28-11.43~lp349314apw5_i386.deb 21-Apr-2009 19:06 670K
    and
    linux-image-2.6.28-11-generic_2.6.28-11.43~lp349314apw5_i386.deb 21-Apr-2009 19:06 24M

from
    http://people.ubuntu.com/~apw/lp349314-jaunty/?C=M;O=A

(check if there are newer versions though)

O... and one of the points I made above about not being able to double click to install might be invalid!I can just double click the files to install from the Nautilus filemanager. (The Package Installer GUI tool would fire up). I guess I was having problem with double clicking from the Downloads windows in Mozilla Firefox only.

Beans

I am extremely impressed by this version of Ubuntu.

I also installed the Ubuntu restricted extras.
    O, and here is one other tip to configure skype:

In Skype's Options, go to the Sound Devices category
    Sound in: HDA Intel (hw:Intel,0)
    Sound out: pulse
    Ringing: pulse

and after enabling the webcam from bios (or perhaps it would have already been enabled in your system), you should also see that from the Video Devices category, it would detect the
    UVC Camera
    and you should have no problem using the webcam.

Feel free to add to this page all you want because we might be able to help more people here.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by boom2k1 View Post
    Sure!
    I used:
    linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic_2.6.28-11.43~lp349314apw5_i386.deb 21-Apr-2009 19:06 670K
    and
    linux-image-2.6.28-11-generic_2.6.28-11.43~lp349314apw5_i386.deb 21-Apr-2009 19:06 24M

from
    http://people.ubuntu.com/~apw/lp349314-jaunty/?C=M;O=A

(check if there are newer versions though)

O... and one of the points I made above about not being able to double click to install might be invalid!I can just double click the files to install from the Nautilus filemanager. (The Package Installer GUI tool would fire up). I guess I was having problem with double clicking from the Downloads windows in Mozilla Firefox only.
    Thanks for those. I've installed them but have yet to notice any difference...
    OMG! Ubuntu!

Beans

Did you reboot?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by boom2k1 View Post
    Did you reboot?
    Haha! Yes i did reboot.

uname tells me i'm running 2.6.28-11 #43 generic (or some such) so i assume the correct headers/image are loading up...

hmmm
    OMG! Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Anyone else missing virtual desktops? I used them a lot in full fat Ubuntu 8.10, and am sad to see that I can't seem to add them in 9.04 NBR, or edit my gnome panel at all.

Any help on re-enabling them?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast