Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: asus 1215n ion 2 support

Beans

asus 1215n ion 2 support

Hello all!

Is there a way to use my nvidia chip in my eee pc 1215n?

It has an integrated graphic card and a discrete card (nvidia). I don't care about battery but I'd just want to use nvidia chip.

Is there a way?

Thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: asus 1215n ion 2 support

I'm having the opposite problem. I'd love to be able to switch over to the less powerful graphics card so my battery doesn't get drained. I've partitioned the harddrive, and on the windows side I get about 6 hours of battery. On the Ubuntu side (even with the update to 10.10) I get 3 hours. I'm pretty certain it's the more advanced graphics card. I'd like to be able to switch that off so I can save battery.

Beans

The hybrid-graphics-linux folks have had some luck with experimentally switching off the nVidia graphics with acpi calls.

http://www.mail-archive.com/hybrid-g.../msg00235.html

I don't have this computer and haven't tried it myself.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I don't get it. Does the ion chip work even without the proprietary nVidia drivers enabled?

For now I have them disabled after reading in posts that they screw up the system. Intel integrated graphics works fine. Has anybody tried enabling the nVidia drivers with any success?

Beans

I made the mistake of installing the nvidia driver and got the black screen problem. I ended up having to reinstall the OS because I could not find another way to get my screen back. This is unfortunate, since the onboard video card is not that good.

Beans

I read somewhere, perhaps on the hybrid-graphics-linux site, that it was possible to turn off VGA switching in the BIOS on some machines; I don't know if the 1215n is one of them, though.

I'm so glad I bought my daughter the 1201n so we don't have to deal with this stupid crap. I've been a big Nvidia supporter over the years, but after they've decided to leave Linux users high-and-dry in this generation, I'm not sure I'll continue to be in their corner.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I just noticed that NVidia released new display drivers for Linux 32bit on 2010.12.13 and they supposedly support all the ION series. Has anybody tried installing them? Any luck?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Tryfon View Post
    I just noticed that NVidia released new display drivers for Linux 32bit on 2010.12.13 and they supposedly support all the ION series. Has anybody tried installing them? Any luck?
    BUMP I'd like to know too before I buy the Asus VX6

Beans

I've been looking around the internet for a solution to this, but it seems to have been quiet in 2011.
    Just had a look at the nvidia drivers site, and there was a driver release on the 21st Jan:
    http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/linux...driver-uk.html

I'm at work at the moment so cant test it on my laptop till later/tomorrow.
    I assume that if this breaks the computer, you just boot into ubuntu (recovery) to remove it? (linux noob here)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

My Compaq Presario f756nr recently crapped out due to the (at least somewhat) infamous HP GPU over-heating problem (just google "hp gpu overheating"). I read that HP's recommended fix is for you, the customer, to pay over 400 dollars to buy a new motherboard. For this reason, I'm in the market for a new laptop.

I'm just a relatively poor college student that wants a decently portable laptop, so I am strongly considering buying an ASUS eee pc 1215N. However, after a few hours of searching online, it looks like the ION2 chip does not work at all in Linux. Is this true? Or does anyone know if this laptop can be forced into discrete graphics mode. It looks like the ION2 itself may work with Linux, but it is unclear if it will work at all in this specific laptop due to the NV Optimus crap. I'm also unsure of how much of the Linux "hybrid-graphics" switching applies to this setup.

This would really suck if NVidia is just giving us Linux users the cold shoulder. I could always use the integrated Intel graphics, but then I'm not getting what I've paid for. Furthermore, it's sad if the only reason this setup exists is because of political issues between Intel and NVidia.

Oh well, maybe I'll have to go with a different laptop/netbook.

Just my two cents

Edit:
    Link to an 'official' thread on some NV forum. As you can see, the response from Linux users has been overwhelmingly negative.

It is now clear that ION2 will work with Linux ONLY if optimus isn't used in the hardware. The last official statement from an NVidia employee, which was last February, states that NVidia is not planning to add optimus support for Linux (link here). There has been absolutely no other feedback from NVidia since then stating whether they plan to add this support.

What's frustrating is that the actual GPUs that are affected by this are supported well by the proprietary NVidia driver, but the Optimus setup prevents them from accessing/using the card in the normal way (that and the discrete GPU depends on the Intel GPU for certain fundamental functions). It seems that our only hope for working ION2 graphics on Optimus notebooks lies in someone reverse engineering open source drivers.

Edit 2:
    Apparently, work is being done to get this setup to work with the open source NVidia drivers:
    Hybrid-graphics-linux project page
    Scroll down to find a link to the NVidia+Intel+Optimus setup progress.
    Last edited by link141; February 3rd, 2011 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Added link + explanation

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast